SOLVED

Search Results in Modern page

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am working with a company who navigates SharePoint mainly by using searches and they would like to start using the modern view as there is better features. In the Classic view the global search bar is always at the top right, even when you are in a document library, however in the Modern view the global seach bar is only available on the SharePoint Home page. When you are in a document library with modern view there is a seach bar in exact same place as the global search bar located on the modern home page but this search bar only seems to carry out file searches (when you click on a folder it opens the folder with the same search criteria still applied). 

Is there any way to create a more unifed search experience on the modern view?

8 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Unfortunately, not yet. There does not seem to be any ability to customize the modern search stuff like we previously could. I have not seen any presentations from Ignite that mention this topic.

@Mark Kashman can you provide any insight?

Agree with Dean here, but I expect customization in modern search will come too!

Thanks for replying. I think we will need to stay on the classic view for now then.

As Microsoft is still working on a modern page solution, I have delved into creating a modern page web part that redirect the user to an enterprise search page to leverage my existing search tools. Please check out my blog post on how to "Create an Enterprise Search Web Part for Modern Pages" that walks you step by step through this process.

There is a web part on github called spfx-react-search-box-webpart (https://github.com/VelinGeorgiev/spfx-react-search-box-webpart) which works very well for me. It gets rid of the search box in the top left hand of the screen and when the search button is pressed, redirects to a classic search results page.

Thanks Nigel. I did find that soon after creating the blog post. That post is a great start if you already know the basics. It is practically the same thing I have done.

What I am trying to do with the blog post is walk through the process for someone (like myself) who hasn't worked with gulp, SPFx, and the generator. I think that seeing it this way helps to show the interface, properties, and relationships so that a user can understand how to tweak the code for their own needs.

Cheers!

So from some input from my Customer, what happened to the refinders we used to know and love? I'd like to be able to mark what metadata that is suppsed to be refined or at least shown. We have metadata that differs the articles, but they can't be shown or used in search or navigation. 

I have a choice metadata for articles (Site pages) and they are Category 1/Category 2/ etc. I'd like for the user to be able to see the metadata for the articles in the result list. Now the only thing they have to go on is title and first lines of text. I don't want to put categories in page titles. I'd also like to see how many views or likes of the pages in the search result. 

Is anything like that comming?

I used that post to build my first SPFx WP some 8 months ago. It was extremely helpful. 

@Carlos Montilla wrote:

Thanks Nigel. I did find that soon after creating the blog post. That post is a great start if you already know the basics. It is practically the same thing I have done.

What I am trying to do with the blog post is walk through the process for someone (like myself) who hasn't worked with gulp, SPFx, and the generator. I think that seeing it this way helps to show the interface, properties, and relationships so that a user can understand how to tweak the code for their own needs.

Cheers!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Unfortunately, not yet. There does not seem to be any ability to customize the modern search stuff like we previously could. I have not seen any presentations from Ignite that mention this topic.

@Mark Kashman can you provide any insight?

View solution in original post