SOLVED

Saving Custom Link as a Template from a library on O365 group site

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi,

I have recently created a custom list on my Site attached to a O365 group, I want to copy the list without the data but I do not see the option "Save list as template", just to repeat this is a site that is created when creating a group. Is this function no longer available of are there certain site features that need to be enabled for this option to appear? 

I have enabled the following Site Collection features on the site:

"SharePoint Server Standard Site Collection features"

"SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure"

Or is there a different way of copying the list?

Thanks,

Shaun

9 Replies
The option is hidden...what you can do is go to a Classic SPO Site, grab the Url for saving a list as template and use it with your list in the Group site...but here some bad news: you will be able to save the list as template, but you won't be able to use it for creating new lists

It seems like this feature is disabled in Office Groups. When I manipulate the URL to access the "Save list as template" page, I am presented with an Access denied message. Even though i am the Group owner.

https://***.sharepoint.com/sites/***/_layouts/15/savetmpl.aspx?List=%7BBC07DED3%2D4E20%2D4566%2D9C71%2DF758D29C8236%7D

When i manipulate the URL to access the List template gallery, I am unable to manually upload a new List template. Access here is also denied. Even though I've got Full Control permissions on the List Template Gallery.

https://***.sharepoint.com/sites/***/_catalogs/lt/Forms/AllItems.aspx

On my tenant the setting  "Allow users to run custom script on self-service created sites" is disabled. This could be the reason you are not allowed to use the "Save list as template" feature.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=397546

You could try to enable this setting. Go to your SharePoint Admin -> Settings ->  Allow users to run custom script on self-service created sites. Wait 24 hours, and see if this helps. If not, Microsoft totally removed this feature from Office Groups.

Oh it's actually mentioned in the link i posted above. So that's probably it.

Features affected when scripting is disabled:

Save document library as template
No longer available in Library Settings.
You can still build document libraries from templates created before scripting was disabled.

Please be aware when you do enable scripting for self-created sites, it has impact on your environment.

Thanks Bastian for your response and what you say makes sense however for me on my tenant we have enabled scripting about 4 months ago.

"Allow users to run custom script on self-service created sites"

My initial thoughts was that the site I am working on was created before we enabled this, so I created another group\site to test and got the same outcome. 

Is there a powershell script to directly check the scripting settings for a site?

Thanks,

Shaun

best response
Solution

"To enable scripting on a particular site collection immediately, use the following PowerShell command:

Set-SPOsite <SiteURL> -DenyAddAndCustomizePages 0

Make sure the scripting setting in the admin portal matches what you set using PowerShell, or the site collection setting may be overridden again in the next 24 hours."

Thanks, I have run this script which has set the option to disbaled for:

"DenyAddAndCustomizPages" this has now given me the option to save the list as a template which is great. 

Whats confusing is you mention to check the admin portal to make sure this matches, I have uploaded a screenshot of the current settings in SharePoint Admin center which shows for personal sites its disabled but for self-service sites its enabled. It feels like this setting is not being applied to our self-serve sites created when groups are created. 

Shaun

Great to hear it's working now.

You could open a support ticket at Microsoft to find why this setting was not initially set when creating a new group. Please let us know if you get some relevant feedback

Sure will do Bastiaan thanks for your help on this, much appreciated.

To complete this thread, I raised a support case with Microsoft who confirmed there is no setting to enable scripting for group sites by default like there is for SharePoint Online. The only way to enable scripting on a group site is to run the Powershell command. 

Regards,

Shaun

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

"To enable scripting on a particular site collection immediately, use the following PowerShell command:

Set-SPOsite <SiteURL> -DenyAddAndCustomizePages 0

Make sure the scripting setting in the admin portal matches what you set using PowerShell, or the site collection setting may be overridden again in the next 24 hours."

View solution in original post