SPO, users can edit in browser but not the client app

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I suddenly have an issue with select users of my SPO but I have not been able to narrow down a common denominator.

The users are able to edit Excel files in the browser but when they try to open them with the client app they get access denied and then it opens a blank Excel file.  These users are able to edit MS Word and MS PowerPoint without issues. This seems limited to Excel and Visio.  This issue just popped up today. These users were fine on Friday but fail on Monday. No GPO or other edits have been made.

Windows 10

MS Office - 1902

All have edit permissions to the library and files.

Library is Check out required

I have cleared the cache, tried IE, EDGE, Chrome and FireFox all with the same results.

I have had them open Excel and browse to the SPO library, still access denied.

I have repaired their office install

I have completely deleted the users from the site collections and from the O365 groups and added them back.

I have run ShareGate permission matrix on the site and there are no broken inheritance.

Using ShareGate I have copied all contents to a new library (not the structure), same experience.

Other users are able to access any of the subject files just fine.

3 Replies

@Frederick Wilson Did you ever find a solution to this. I have two user and periodically people pop-up with this issue. 

they can checkout i the browser and edit, but not in the app, I've tried the same things as you, but no joy.

Currently having same issue with one user who it's happening to on one file but it's not happening to others. It will randomly happen on other files but is very sporadic.

@Frederick Wilson @Trevor_Point @David_Doyle 

I've run up against the same issue today. Two specific users who can edit excel documents in SOP but can only view in the desktop app.

Did any of you figure this out?