SOLVED

SP2007 vs SPO 2013 View

Brass Contributor

We are migrating SP2007 document library into SPO. Our document library is huge and there are multiple views of type List View Web Part pages.

While migrating, these view pages also migrated and preventing the Modern Experience. Also the web parts appear twice in the SPO. If I delete the web part, the View also gets deleted but the page (.aspx) is not getting deleted. But couldn't locate these files in SPO.

While looking at SPO, AllItems.aspx takes the View ID as parameter and display the view results instead of navigating to different pages.

1. What's the path of these migrated List View Web Part pages in SPO ?
  2. How can we delete these pages by code?
  3.  Also even though a particular view has less than 150 items, it doesn't work in SPO. Is SPO even throttling this as it's a huge list? 

Appreciate your help.

11 Replies
How many items do you have in the list?
Thanks for the response. We have 3 million items in the list
Is your 2007 system List View Threshold above 5000?

What are you using to migrate your content?

Have you considered using a migration tool like Sharegate? It will migrate all of your views and much much more.
Totally agree here with Eric. To manage the migration os such a huge list you should be using (I think that's the case) a third party migration tool

Thanks for the response. My question is misunderstood. My question is not about how to migrate. After migration (yes, using a tool) where these SP 2007 web part pages land in SPO? How to access them via code?

I would ask the tool vendor how they are handling the migration of those old List View Web Parts and the associated pages. There are typically some hidden folders that are used to store those type of pages.

Ha, wow, I misread that one. Sorry.

Honestly my understanding has always been that these pages are dynamic based on an XML blob that get's rendered upon request and stored in the content db. That's usually all a view is.

However, you can see them in SPD as .aspx pages. I created a view called whereAreYou and you can see in the attached screen shot (arrow 3). Still pretty sure that is a façade.

I would check in to the SharePoint PnP or the Dev Center for code examples that set views. 

You might also want to post this question in the SharePoint Dev area of the community.

Thanks Adler. I will check.

best response confirmed by Deenadayalan V (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Update:

1) All "*.aspx" pages can be found under "https://<<relative site url>>/Forms/<<pagename>>.aspx"

• What I observed is these .aspx pages are used for classic experience. So it's good to keep minimum list view web part (XSLTListViewWebPart) to work properly
  • These .aspx pages are created for each corresponding view. So deleting these pages mean we are deleting the View or vice versa.

2) Some of the Web Parts from SP 2007 that are migrated into SPO are in hidden status. These web parts didn't appear even in "Edit Page" mode. The trick is to add "Contents=1" after the "pagename.aspx?" to list all web parts of the page including the hidden one. It provides the option to select the web part and delete it. After removing them, the view returned to Modern Experience.

3) For a given document library/List, don't alter the default view page "AllItems.aspx" or "All Documents" view. Not sure whether it is discouraged to set some other view as Default. The views work perfectly fine in a huge list if "All Documents" is default page. Noticed a new thing in last few weeks that the page displays "Tap here to load more items" if the filter is not returning any files within 5000 limit. I assume it goes back by created/modified date by 5000 items at a time.

Thanks for sharing your solution, that is a common problem with hidden web parts and the Content=1 technique has always been needed to find that issue. 

We have more than 2.5 million items and growing. Splitting them into multiple lib's is not a choice now.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Deenadayalan V (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Update:

1) All "*.aspx" pages can be found under "https://<<relative site url>>/Forms/<<pagename>>.aspx"

• What I observed is these .aspx pages are used for classic experience. So it's good to keep minimum list view web part (XSLTListViewWebPart) to work properly
  • These .aspx pages are created for each corresponding view. So deleting these pages mean we are deleting the View or vice versa.

2) Some of the Web Parts from SP 2007 that are migrated into SPO are in hidden status. These web parts didn't appear even in "Edit Page" mode. The trick is to add "Contents=1" after the "pagename.aspx?" to list all web parts of the page including the hidden one. It provides the option to select the web part and delete it. After removing them, the view returned to Modern Experience.

3) For a given document library/List, don't alter the default view page "AllItems.aspx" or "All Documents" view. Not sure whether it is discouraged to set some other view as Default. The views work perfectly fine in a huge list if "All Documents" is default page. Noticed a new thing in last few weeks that the page displays "Tap here to load more items" if the filter is not returning any files within 5000 limit. I assume it goes back by created/modified date by 5000 items at a time.

View solution in original post