SP list - search shows different results

Brass Contributor

I have a SP online list that is used to track employee corrective actions.  Looking at the list without searching, one employee has 4 items in the last 2 months.  However, when I search by her first name, only 1 shows up.  If I search by her first and last name, 2 items show up

The employee name is in a People/Group column that is connected to active directory.

Why am I getting such mixed results when I search?

3 Replies
Are you performing your searches from within the context of the SharePoint list or from another location within SharePoint? Are you in Classic or in modern experience? Many things in the configuration of your Search service (Managed Property configuration) and in the way you construct your queries have potential impact on which search results are returned. The (configuration of the) WebParts you are using to present your search results also have influence.
I'm in the list itself, using the search box in the top left hand corner. This is modern experience though I get the same results in classic

This still annoys me.  I have a column set for the Person or Group type.

Bob has 12 items in that list.  However, when I go to search for Bob using the quick search in the top left corner of the screen, only 11 items show up.  Why??

If I filter that column for Bob, all 12 items are displayed as expected.

What is causing that one item to not show up when I use the quick search?