Roadmap question - 21047 "SharePoint News Digest Email"

Iron Contributor

Has anyone else heard anything more about this?  Not much news since the announcement by @Mark Kashman last fall.  The roadmap says it was to be released last quarter (Q4 2017), but it isn't even at Targeted Release yet.  We are eager to try this and see it as a huge win for our organization as we move more and more services into Office 365. 

37 Replies
Huzzah! Looks great and worked as promised!

I'm also seeing a broken image in the email.    

The button is available in my tenant.

• The image in the e-mail is not being displayed . Not in Outlook 2016 proplus, nor Outlook online
  • Can't seem to mail to dynamic distribution groups
  • I expected that every newspost would have it's own image and description in the e-mail directly. so users could click and go to a specific newspost straight from the e-mail

Where is the magical "button" you all talk of?

This was a regression that should be fixed now.

Same thing happened to me.  There are only two of us on first release in my tenant.  I was so excited to see the magic button, but got the same email issue you describe.  I'm still hopeful it will be worked out soon though.

The email issue is fixed.  Its formatted nicely and looks good.

Saw the new feature and I love it!! But I have a few questions/requests

• Is there any way to replace Microsoft and SharePoint logos at the top with those from my own organization or at least put those at the bottom. 
  • Also can the SharePoint logo just above the header be replaced?
  • Also, I have several subsites that have their own newsfeed. Is there any way to combine those newsfeeds with my main newsfeed into one email digest?

All good questions.  Might have to submit a uservoice request to get the ball rolling on these added features.

Love this!  It's been worth the wait!

If you submitted a user voice on the logo change, please let me know so I can vote it up. Very first question from my corp comms folks.

Thanks,

Berney

Great suggestions Lanetta.

1. At this time we don't support changing the logos in the News digest.
  2. News digest only works with our modern news system, so it doesn't have a way to roll-up non news content. We're thinking about the easiest model to support sharing existing content into the news system right now.

Thanks for the info @John Sanders, I have a couple of other q's that I havent been able to find the answers for... Are there any help guides on the news digest? Is there a plan to enable rich text in the header section or the intro text box? Would love to be able to add an image in the header section so it  takes the focus away (a little) from the sharepoint icon that will confuse staff! I'm also keen to understand how others are managing permission on who can send the digest (this may not be the right forum for the business type q's!) In general would love a little more info above and beyond https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-and-send-a-news-digest-42efc3c6-605f-4a9a-85d5-1f9ff...

Thanks for the questions Jo. That help article is what we have on news digest, so I'll work with our awesome user assistance team to get more info in it.

At the moment, we aren't planning on supporting rich text in the summary area, but if we hear enough feedback that a desired upgrade we can look into it. Right now it reuses page descriptions, which are plain text. Similarly the images come from the various news Para, but the "chrome" of the digest is part of our template and not editable. I've heard from a few folks that they'd love to have an ability to modify those images, but we haven't invested in that yet. I'm curious what you're thinking for the permissions. Today anyone that can edit a site (eg create news) can send a digest. Is there a need to lock that down more? If so, can you help me understand it better?

Thanks for your response - the rationale for permissions is to enable us to replace an existing company wide and departmental email newsletters with the news digest without having everyone in the company being able to send the newsletter. Current requirement is to try and reduce the number of emails therefore only allow groups within the comms area to be able to send digests out - central comms to be able to send to all and divisional comms being able to send to their respective area. This, however could be managed through who can access the all company distribution list.... we are also eagerly waiting on the ability to add a link to display intro text / title / image of news published externally as this will reduce the amount of duplication of effort (creating news externally and then again internally to be shared in a staff newsletter)...

+1
we have very similar requirements

If using Email Digest for a Hub Site, It takes all News from all sites connected to hub.
The problem is when you create Email Digest for first time, it shows post related to that hub site only, now you select post and send the email.
It creates a page for every email you send.
Now the next time you visit the page created , you see news from other sites as well which should not happen.
Why does email digest create page , each time you send email ?