Roadmap question - 21047 "SharePoint News Digest Email"

Iron Contributor

Has anyone else heard anything more about this?  Not much news since the announcement by @Mark Kashman last fall.  The roadmap says it was to be released last quarter (Q4 2017), but it isn't even at Targeted Release yet.  We are eager to try this and see it as a huge win for our organization as we move more and more services into Office 365. 

37 Replies
Hi Matt. The team hit a delay on this feature, and we will market it's availability soon along with several of the news-related capabilities - so coming soon, and apologies for the roadmap inaccuracies, we should have all updated soon, and prepping for some new items as we announce a new set of what we're working on to announce in May at the SharePoint Conference North America event. Cheers, Mark.

Thanks @Mark Kashman - Hope this gets going quickly and is still going to be as envisioned. We have a great need and dependence on these kinds of email digests.

Just checking in to see if this is getting any closer to rollout?  I see its still in development status on the Office 365 roadmap.  I was hoping to use this feature for a Communication Site project I'm working on.

Seriously.  This was announced at Ignite in September 2017, promised by Q4 and supposedly released in Q1 of this year.  It is almost Q3 and no sign of it our tenant.  MS has to do a better job rolling out what they show off.  Or at  least communicating about why the rollouts are late.

I just had a pop up about the News Digest in my Comm. Site.  There was a link to "Learn More" which sent me here:  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-and-send-a-news-digest-42efc3c6-605f-4a9a-85d5-1f9ff...

I don't see the button to "Email a News Digest" yet, but I imagine this is very close to being released.

It is coming soon. The team hit a last mile bug and have been bashing it as quick as they can.

Understood. I can take that feedback, Matt. It slipped my radar that we were delayed, and the team is working on righting that. Looping in @Andy Haon and @John Sanders who can shed light on release timing - though I know it to be imminent. Thanks, Mark.

Hi Mark - any updates on this? Our team here was really excited to check out the new functionality after we received the same notice as @null null.

See above.  Coming soon.

You can see this feature briefly in action in the SharePoint Swoop videos (video #5).

@James Strugnell errh...not really. If you're talking about what Benjamin showed on his mobile - that was the SharePoint App news rollup feature not the news digest email

Watch from around 4:30. 

@James Strugnell - you are right! looks awesome. When is this going to be generally available?

Hi @Larry Akin-Olamiti It’s definitely in there mate! Now, from what I understand from @Andy Haon and @Mark Kashman very recently is the delay is due to more testing required to get the Email Digest just right. Don’t say I keep in with the people in the know! Cheers.

@John Wynne - We can't get rid of you:), I saw it in the swoop clip - thanks bud! I appreciate testing and the need to get it right. Need to manage end user expectations who have been asking for this feature since it was first announced.  

Hi all, We really appreciate the continued interest in the news digest email feature! We want to get this out to you even more than you want to use it, but dang we've hit a last bug after another last bug on this project. We expect it to start rolling out VERY SOON, so stay tuned. Lots of other capabilities released over the last months and you'll see more soon now that we've done our SharePoint conference announcements. Thx, Andy
It’s arrived all! You can tell your clients @Larry Akin-Olamiti! Thanks @Andy Haon @Mark Kashman.

I am seeing the feature now in our tenant but my account is marked in First Release (the entire org is not in first release).  Others in the org do not see this feature yet.  Progress, though!  Thanks!

I did a simple test and it worked almost as expected.  The email did not have the images.  The image placeholders gave the error "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file and location." 

The image still exists in the original location and is unchanged.  The link in the email to the compiled News Digest page is correct and the images are on that page. Not sure if this is a result of the feature not being fully deployed in our tenant for us, or if it has to do with just my account being one of of the few in first release in our tenant. 

Thanks for the continued work!  Hope these last few issues get worked out.

Just to let you know @Matt Varney that the images did arrive in the emails for me. My tenant is in First Release, Whole Org. Hopefully just teething issues. Glad it’s here, onwards...