Reusable Workflows and modern sites

Copper Contributor

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help clarify workflow options with modern sites. We are wanting to implement re-usable workflows (for approvals) ideally with modern sites. The sites will be provisioned from Code and so there will be a lot of them (approx 10-20 created per day) so any manual configuration is not ideal.

Flow seems very promising but doesn't seem to support the enterprise level - lots of sites scenario. Each flow is assigned to a specific site and list and needs recreating for each one which isn't an option here.

Traditional reusable workflows might fit but it seems Sharepoint Designer support is no longer available on modern sites (although I seem to be able to connect it to some test modern sites i've created without any problems).

Am I missing anything here or is there another method that would work with Modern sites in this mass-site scenario?

It it confirmed that SP designer will no longer be available with modern - if so I assume the fact I can still connect to them it will stop working at some point in the future?

Many thanks

Andy

7 Replies
Mmm...I recall also having problems when opening modern sites (Groups ones) with SPD, but I have not read any information / support article about modern team sites not being supported in SharePoint Designer

I meant I WAS able to connect to a modern team site with SPD and use workflow but i've seen it in mentioned in a few places that it isn't supported anymore. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/pnp_articles/modern-experience-customizations-customize-sites

Trying to confirm that this is the case and see what the alternatives are. We don't want to invest in a solution for it later to stop working or the workflows to not be editable.

To be clear, SPD is not a tool to customize (Look & Feel) modern SPO Sites (what means Communication Sites and Modern SPO Team Sites)...but SPD is still supported for things such as workflows while it's true Microsoft is clearly pushing everybody to use Flow instead of SPD Workflows

i have tried to create a workflow in SPD. just a simple send an email action. when publishing its giving me an access denied error. i and sharepoint admin and have full control for the site.

Regards

Sai Kiran 

@Juan Carlos González Martín wrote:
To be clear, SPD is not a tool to customize (Look & Feel) modern SPO Sites (what means Communication Sites and Modern SPO Team Sites)...but SPD is still supported for things such as workflows while it's true Microsoft is clearly pushing everybody to use Flow instead of SPD Workflows

You may need to use an impersonation step, only available in SP 2010 workflows, so the workflow author's permissions are used for the E-mail step.  This is one reason 2010 workflows are still supported.

Nick

That access denied is most likely because you lost these possibilities listed in this blog post https://sharepoint.handsontek.net/2018/10/28/enable-custom-script-on-modern-sharepoint-sites-using-p...

And even though this is a very old thread, thought I'd throw this in - to use 2010 workflows in SPO site you need to also set security via Powershell for each site. You'll need this if you look at your security in SPO and see a deny there.

# set security so can use 2010 workflows
# have to do this to every site we want to use 2010 workflows on.
Set-SPOSite -Identity https://<TenantName>/sites/<SiteName>  -DenyAddAndCustomizePages $false