SOLVED

Restrict access to DWS.asmx and People.asmx on a Forms Based Authentication Site.

Deleted
Not applicable

Hello

We just implemented an intranet site with Forms Based Authentication on Sharepoint 2016, and our customer ran an Ethical Hacking Service on the website.

They found 2 issues (according to them), as I am not an expert on security, I am not sure if they are really problems or not, and if they can be fixed or not.

1. As an anonnymous user: I can go to _vti_bin/DWS.asmx, and see the contract of the services, according to the client thats a vulnerability, is it?

2. Same applies for people.asmx

3. When logged in as a Forms Based Authentication User, then with SOAPUI, those users can interact with the services, retrieveing information from users.

same applies for disco.asmx

1. Can I just disallow access to these services somehow for both anonymous and fba users without breaking sharepoint?

Is there any official documentation about this?

2 Replies
best response
Solution

Hey Luis, hope you are well. Added some comments for you:

1. As an anonnymous user: I can go to _vti_bin/DWS.asmx, and see the contract of the services, according to the client thats a vulnerability, is it? Not really, as you cannot interact with it. To change that you can add web.config entries to make it so that it prompts for authetication when someoine trieds to access that. This is done using something like this where you are allowing Auth'd users and blocking Anonymous, or just set it to allow Auth'd users. Of course you need to test this:

<location path="_vti_bin/DWS.asmx">
<system.webServer>
<security>
<authorization>
<allow users="*" />
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>
</security>
</system.webServer>
</location>

Same thing can be done here too. 

3. When logged in as a Forms Based Authentication User, then with SOAPUI, those users can interact with the services, retrieveing information from users. 

This is expected behaviour, as you are authneticated user and should be able to call into the services to retrieve data. You could once again modify who can get access to the endpoints using the same approach but this time, restrict to specific groups, roles or even accounts. Using something similar to this: <add accessType="Allow" roles="Administrators" />

Hope this helps.

Liam

In addition to Liam's answer, if you need a little more detail, I did wrote the article here (http://thuansoldier.net/?p=4267) during my time working in a governmental environment.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Hey Luis, hope you are well. Added some comments for you:

1. As an anonnymous user: I can go to _vti_bin/DWS.asmx, and see the contract of the services, according to the client thats a vulnerability, is it? Not really, as you cannot interact with it. To change that you can add web.config entries to make it so that it prompts for authetication when someoine trieds to access that. This is done using something like this where you are allowing Auth'd users and blocking Anonymous, or just set it to allow Auth'd users. Of course you need to test this:

<location path="_vti_bin/DWS.asmx">
<system.webServer>
<security>
<authorization>
<allow users="*" />
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>
</security>
</system.webServer>
</location>

Same thing can be done here too. 

This is expected behaviour, as you are authneticated user and should be able to call into the services to retrieve data. You could once again modify who can get access to the endpoints using the same approach but this time, restrict to specific groups, roles or even accounts. Using something similar to this: <add accessType="Allow" roles="Administrators" />

Hope this helps.

Liam

View solution in original post