SOLVED

Re-create a view in a document library from a different SharePoint site

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I don't have much SharePoint experience, so here goes: I have two sites, A and B. I'm looking to create an exact copy of a view from a document library from site A to a document library of site B. However "start from an existing view" only works for the same site.

I did not set up the view I want to re-create, it has 3 custom columns. How can I either:

1. copy or export the view to my new Site

2. find out exactly how the custom columns were made

Any assistance is appreciated, thank you

6 Replies
Are you sure you want to copy a full site and not a page in your site? In the first case, you will need to invest some time on learning PnP stuff...on the second, you have the ability to create a copy of your pages and upload to other sites

My apologies for the confusion, I mean a view of a document library, edited the post. 

Basically the sites serve the same function, but for a different part of the company. There's a custom view in a document library in the original site, site A. I would like to implement the same view in my document library of site B.

best response confirmed by Jeroen Deschepper (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Well, then you have to look for alternatives to show this view on the other site since by default this is something you cannot achieve.

Alright, I'll work around it. Thank you for the quick replies!

I mean you can just pull them both up and recreate the view would be a lot less work than trying to figure out a way to get the view across. Is there something making the view complex?

Hi,

If you want to copy all doc library column and View from Site A to Site B, Lets export doc library  template without content from Site A. Now import this doc library in a site collection where SITE B created (If SITE A and Site B both in same site collection then not need to import). Go to Site B  >> and create new doc library based on template.

In order to replica of SITE A doc library view in Site B, go to the doc library and create or modify view in doc library view setting.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks

Manish

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jeroen Deschepper (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Well, then you have to look for alternatives to show this view on the other site since by default this is something you cannot achieve.

View solution in original post