SOLVED

Permission to see folders but not files inside the library

Brass Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I have a SharePoint library where I have different folders inside with that contains confidential files. I want my colleagues to be able to see the folders but not the files inside. To reach those files, require a Manager - Approved access request. So the "dream"solution would be; whenever they arrive at my library, they will be seeing the folders (only the names of the folders) and once they opened those folders, they will reach to "Request Access" page. (At another post, I've found out that reaching to a "Request Access" page is not something SharePoint is capable of but still, it would be the dream solution).

Which permission level would let them see the folder names but not the files inside? Is there any solution scenario? 

Any help would be appreciated!

Best Regards,

Yigit Yürüker

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Yigit_Yuruker (Brass Contributor)
Solution
One way to do this is apply custom permissions to the folders and manually create a set of links on the home page to the folders, when they click on the link, they will access denied.
Another similar way would be to have separate document libraries and do the same thing.
The hard way would be to change the permission on each file in each folder, they will see the folders but not the files ( I don't recommend this approach because of the administrative effort it will entail)

@Dean Gross Thanks Dean! I've created a list of links to the folders, it works better now! Your support is appreciated. Have a great day!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Yigit_Yuruker (Brass Contributor)
Solution
One way to do this is apply custom permissions to the folders and manually create a set of links on the home page to the folders, when they click on the link, they will access denied.
Another similar way would be to have separate document libraries and do the same thing.
The hard way would be to change the permission on each file in each folder, they will see the folders but not the files ( I don't recommend this approach because of the administrative effort it will entail)

View solution in original post