People/Group Column Converts Name to a Number in SharePoint Online

Copper Contributor

This error is occurring in several site collections throughout our environment. We have a list set up with a People or Group column. The list will display the name in the first item as expected, but converts all of the subsequent item names to seemingly random numbers. When navigating to the list, the entire list of names appears correctly but as soon as the page fully loads the fields flip over to display the numbers. 

clipboard_image_0.png

We have found that if the People or Group column is set to sort A-Z, the names will display correctly. 

Has anyone else encountered this behavior? Any suggested troubleshooting steps? This is a standard People or Group column in the list (not a site column) and there is no custom formatting associated with the column or the page. 

7 Replies

@eMoJo Are you using the Classic or Modern list experience? Is this is on a Classic or Modern site?

@Techresa , we are utilizing a modern list on a modern site. Thank you!

@eMoJo 

People/Group field display the user/group ID the first time I enter the view. If I refresh, the name display correctly. I'm using Chrome. This is not the first time I've seen this issue. It has never been finally fixed by Microsoft.

They are applying so many updated without testing that they kind of lost control. Just this week, this is my third bug (other than choice field started to display an empty choice with radio button, sharepoint custom forms with PowerApps that do not open in Chrome...) This is very painfull...

Note: The issue does not occurs with ModifiedBy or CreatedBy. Only with new created people/group columns.

It's not only a SharePoint Online issue. I have the exact same behaviour in SharePoint 2019 with the modern view.
Names show up and when the pageload is complete, they switch to numbers. Sorting the column solves it.

Did you ever find a fix for this? I am having the exact same issue in SP 2019 on september 2021 CU.

@ellier2091 Good question... Forgot all about this. I just tested on a SP2019 with the September 2021 CU and it seems to work fine.

As far as I can tell I'm only having the issue on one list, and only for items that existed before the CU upgrade. It also seems that the issue occurs as soon as there are items on the list from both before and after the CU upgrade. If I delete all new items, the issue goes away. If I delete all old items, the issue goes away. The new items that I create render fine, though I did encounter an anomaly where deleting 1 old item made 1 new item render names as numbers.