SOLVED

PDFs are not showing in the modern File Viewer web part

Brass Contributor

Hello Community,

I was trying to use the modern File Viewer web part to display a PDF on a modern page. But for some reasons I just couldn't see any of my PDF file in the Site selector even I am 100% sure files are in this document library.

I end up just copy and past the URL of this PDF to the web part, but is this how it supposed to work? 

Does anyone experience the same behavior here?

Thanks 

8 Replies
yeap, I can confirm that selecting an existing PDF or loading a new one makes the WebPart to show an error and the PDF is not correctly displayed
Some more comments from my side...it seems the File Viewer currently available (I'm on first release - Select People) does not work with PDF files yet...so it seems the File Viewer announced at Ignite is not there yet

This morning, I ended up by embedding the direct url to the pdf through the "embed" web part. Works like a charm - but is probably not an answer to your question. Just another work around.

@Pieter Op De Beéck Yes, I believe if you use the Direct URL to embed/link/map PDFs, the web parts would work. I just don't understand why PDF is not supported like other Office Documents OOTB... It's such a common file format...

"I think it is just a matter of time ..." As a consultant, I give this answer on a daily basis - because it's mostly true.

best response confirmed by Chung-Cheng Yu (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Assuming you're in First Release, this scenario is now supported as of a few days ago.

Please let me know if you're having any issues.

Hey John,

Yes, I was able to see PDFs show up in the new File Viewer web part, which is great!

I have other problem with pdf and file viewer. When I upload a PDF, file viewer opens MS Word App and shows the pdf content in it. This is a problem for me because the hyperlinks from PDF doesn't work properly there. Is there any solution for this issue? 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Chung-Cheng Yu (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Assuming you're in First Release, this scenario is now supported as of a few days ago.

Please let me know if you're having any issues.

View solution in original post