OneNote

Iron Contributor

Good Day

On the SharePoint Online default OneNote Notebook that gets provisioned with the web site, we see the OneNote Notebook is stored on the site assets library.  We also see that the site assets library is enabled for major versions.  My question is around restoring the OneNote Notebook to a previous version by picking one of the available versions in SharePoint.  When looking at the OneNote Notebook properties/options we do not see a choice to see the version history of the file which is interesting considering versioning is enabled on the library. Does anyone know if OneNote Notebooks are excluded as a file type that SharePoint will retain versions or maybe is the Assets library not really capturing versions for any file hosted in it?  Thank you!

3 Replies

I've never noticed that the SP interface doesn't show versions for OneNote files. However, OneNote does its own versioning that is more granular (down at the page level) than SharePoint's. It's recommended that you do version management / restores from the OneNote UI instead of SharePoint's UI. To find versions for a page, just right-click on the page tab and choose 'Show page versions'. This displays the version history as kind of phantom tabs immediately below the latest version. You can then choose to view / restore any version you like.

If your goal is to restore pages or sections that have been deleted, again that's typically done within OneNote. Look for the History tab and then 'Notebook Recycle Bin'. It keeps things in there for 60 days, by default.

Thank you!

Where is the History tab found? I cannot find it in OneNote.

@Eric Eaton wrote:

If your goal is to restore pages or sections that have been deleted, again that's typically done within OneNote. Look for the History tab and then 'Notebook Recycle Bin'. It keeps things in there for 60 days, by default.