Office 365 Groups and Outlook

Copper Contributor

Are Office 365 groups meant to show up in my normal Outlook client? They show up online but not in my standard Outlook. I've read that they aren't meant to show if the group was set up on Teams, but this group was set up on SharePoint as a a 'Team Site', I then chose to go and add this on Teams after.

What I do find weird is that I can add the calendar of the group to my 'Shared Calendar' options on my Outlook, but instead of showing any of the events that are in the calendar online, it shows all of the events in all of the admin's calendar (there are three of us) and blanks them out as Busy. Is this normal behaviour? I was hoping to just show the events that are in the calendar online.

Group Calendar Outlook Online

diary.PNG

Outlook Calendar

diary2.PNG

7 Replies

@khaycock  I can confirmed that standard behaviour is to show the Office 365 groups that have been created as part of a SharePoint site in the Outlook desktop client. This is in version 1908 of Office Pro Plus.  Not sure how far back this functionality goes in terms of versions.  I don't know what happens if you Teamify the SharePoint Team site but I would expect it to follow standard Team behaviour and not show. 

When you say shows all of your Admins calendars - where are these calendars - are they exchange calendars per user or are you saying its events they have created in the Office 365 Group Calendar? 

Hi @Andrew Hodges,

We have version 1909 so I should be able to see my Office 365 Groups in my Outlook desktop then? Do you know any reason why they wouldn't show? I can un-team the group but it wasn't showing before anyway.

I made myself and my manager the admin members of the group and what it seems to have done is to combine both of our standard exchange calendars and not included anything from the Office 365 group calendar at all..

@khaycock  This is where it should show:- 

groups.PNG

It may not show if you have a Hybrid Exchange setup  - https://www.adamfowlerit.com/2018/07/office-365-groups-missing-from-outlook-2016/ 

Calendar showing all users - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057584/free-busy-data-for-all-users-appears-in-an-office-3...

Hope that helps

Andy

Hi @Andrew Hodges,

You are spot on we do have the Hybrid set up. I tried following the blog but I have no clue how to configure the PowerShell part as I've never used PowerShell & Office 365 before. If you have any tips for the process they are much appreciated!

I can't do the calendar thing until I have the Groups showing up either :( I have faith you are correct and as soon as I can get the groups back I'll accept as solution!

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

If you have not used PowerShell before then you are probably unlikely to have the right Admin rights to do this. You will need your Administrators to run this as it will require permissions on the Office 365 tenant to do that.

Kind regards

Andy

Okay got it. I'll reach out. Thanks Andy :)