No option to turn off comments on modern pages in Team Sites

Bronze Contributor

Looks like this had only come about post last weekends updates... just me or is anyone else seeing this?

Futher investigation, it seems this only occurs when the page is set as the Home Page, a non-home page, site page allows me to turn off Comments.

VIEW MODE

image.png

EDIT MODE (NO OPTION TO TURN OFF COMMENTS)

image.png

20 Replies
same for me. seems like a bug

I remember I have already seen a switch to turn off the comments at the botom of the page (in EDIT mode). But currently the switch doesnt show.

@Warwick Ward @Tomáš Petržilka

Thanks for letting us know! Getting on this now. You should be able to turn comments off on a page that is set as the home page. Working on this!

I have a page that's set as the homepage and it doesn't give me the option to turn off comments?

Yes works fine until you set the page as the home page, then you loose ability to turn off comments, even if you had already turned it off already
I just noticed that if a page is set as "Home page" comments section is not displayed at all. Is this by design? I don't understand why would MS remove this option for home page.

This is still a bug on our homepage. When will this issue be resolved?

Hi all - upon further inspection that is by design. The thinking being that home pages typically do not have comments. Comments are not lost, if that page is not longer set to the home page the comments will reappear. For now, there will never be comments on the home page.

Would love your feedback here! What is your desired behavior? Is there a desire for comments on the home page of a site?

Hi Alyssa,

Has this yet been resolved. I am still not able to turn comments off my home page.

To achieve this, I have to:

1. Ensure page is not set to Homepage,
  2. Edit page and turn off comments,
  3. Publish page, and
  4. Set page as homepage.

I also lose 'Site Settings', etc. in the Settings Cog when on a modern page. This is also frustrating!

Thanks,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Site Settings is still there, but now you need to select "Site Information" under the cog, and then the pop out properties panel, which shows you the title and description of the site, has a link to "View all site settings" which takes you to the traditional site settings page.

Damian.

This is incorrect.

My homepage by default has comments enabled and are visible, however I want to DISABLE it and remove them completely.

The problem I have is that my site is now live so I can't even attempt to set a different home page, switch off comments, re-publish etc.

What browser are you using? I had the same problem in Chrome/Firefox in that there was no ability to disable commenting on /sites/home.aspx. I decided to check Edge and the toggle to turn commenting on/off was available when editing the home.aspx page.

G'day Damian,

Thanks for the response - annoying that it's now another click away, but appreciate you pointing out it's new home. :)

Cheers,
Michael.

I've checked with Safari, Edge and IE. All working fine. Not tried with Chrome or Firefox as I don't use them I'm afraid.

Hi Alyssa,

I think you are missing the point.

There are two modern page layouts.

The home and the article.

In a normal SharePoint team site the default page is not a modern one. But we can create new modern pages and they are created as Article pages (ou group sites the home page has a Home layout).

The issue is that when we set article modern page to the site home page the insert new comment appears.

And we cant turn it off because the button to make this change is gone.

I send you the Article page in attach. Has you can see it has a photo place.

The home layout doesn't have that photo.

Can you check?

thanks

I don´t know why but my post disappeared...

Hi Allyssa,

I think you are missing the point.

The problem happens when adding a modern page with layout Article as a home page.

The comment field appears and there is no way to remove it.

If you use a Home layout page as a Home page it works fine (there is no comment field).

Hi, @Alyssa Danesh.

Is it possible to disable Comments on Site Pages for a specific site collection with Modern Pages? 

I've ran into an issue that having this available adds another authentication prompt for guest users when Comments are enabled at the tenant level settings. 

Fred Y 

I would love a way to turn comments off for all pages.  It appears now it is only a page by page action.

You can turn off completely in SharePoint Admin Centre

Thanks Warwick, I looked in the Modern SharePoint Admin Centre and could not find the option.  Where is it?