New web parts for your modern communications in SharePoint Online

Microsoft

The SharePoint team is excited to announce we're adding three new web parts to the toolbox when creating team news articles and modern pages:

1. Image gallery
  2. Bing maps
  3. Quick charts

These new web parts are rolling out to First Release customers now

• Note: only tenants that have First Release (FR) set to on for the entire tenant will see these features.
  • Per user first release flighting is not applicable when creating new content that could be seen/viewed by non FR enabled users.

What are modern pages you ask?

“Modern team site pages are fast, easy to author and support rich multimedia content. And pages look great on any device, in a browser or from within the SharePoint app. Using pages is a great way to communicate and share your ideas—such as status and trip reports, how-to write-ups, know-before-you-go guides and frequently asked questions.” - from our blog post last year.

Image gallery

The Image gallery web part lets you share collections of pictures on a page. Simply select your images with the file picker, or drag them on to the web part. Once you’ve built your collection, you can reorder them with drag and drop as well.

We support two beautiful layouts today:

1. Tiles layout

Mobile

Tiles view on a mobile phoneTiles view on a mobile phone

Larger screens

Tiles view on a larger screenTiles view on a larger screen

1. Carousel layout

Mobile

Carousel view on mobileCarousel view on mobile

Larger screens

Image gallery on a larger screenImage gallery on a larger screen

You can also add additional information about each image such as:

• Image title
  • Image description
  • Alternative text

Looking forward, we will be listening to customer feedback and adding more layouts and features that highlight your images beautifully on pages.

Bing maps

This web part makes it easy to add a map to your page. Simply enter an address or a well-known location name, and your map dynamically appears.

If you want to pick a different map type, you can of course do that... as well as change the zoom level, label your map pin with a friendly name, etc.

Mobile

Bing map on mobileBing map on mobile

Larger screens

bing_map_yosemite_smaller.png

Depending upon your location, Bing maps may not support some map styles (e.g. Streetside view isn't available everywhere).

Quick charts

The Quick chart web part allows you to easily visualize simple data on your page. Enter your data points with labels, pick your chart type, and publish.

We support two chart types today:

1. Column

Mobile

Column chart on mobileColumn chart on mobile

Larger screens

Column chart on larger screensColumn chart on larger screens

1. Pie

Mobile

Pie chart on mobilePie chart on mobile

Larger screens

Pie chart on a large screenPie chart on a large screen

We have a lot more web parts in the works, some of which you can see highlighted in this session “Discover the new SharePoint content publishing experiences” (link jumps right to web part section); from #MSIgnite.

As always, let us know what you think, and where we should invest more time.

Thanks,

The SharePoint Team

56 Replies
@Ivan - you'll be pleased to know, we're working on a simple people experience right now :D

Thanks, I would have been surprised if you weren't ;)

I'm expecting iterative additions to modern pages anyway :p We all know people are eagerly awating all updates on this topic ever since "the future of sharepoint" event :)

Cool stuff :)

Any idea when we will be able to white list domains for Group sites, so we can embed maps/graphs etc. from other vendors? Bing is white listed by default, and Group sites does not allow white listing like Team sites does.

Probably not the first web parts my users have been asking for, but it's definitely nice to see some progress.

BTW - is there a documented way to get one of these new Modern Pages to be the home page for a Team Site where a web part or wiki page is the current default?  The "make homepage" ribbon control doesn't show up on Modern Pages.

Not documented, but you have to go to the actual library of pages to set it as homepage, instead of doing it when you are actually on the page. (Its talked about somewhere in this community, but heaven help me if I can find it again...)
I call out how in my initial post about modern site from SP home; Check it ☺ : "Create connected SharePoint Online team sites in seconds" [11/7/2016]: https://blogs.office.com/2016/11/08/create-connected-sharepoint-online-team-sites-in-seconds/
@Kevin you can use the ... on the "new homepage" from the Site Pages library, assuming you have the correct permissions. The user needs "Manage Web Permissions".

On most of my sites, I have permission and can pick a new page and make it the homepage... but on one of our test sites, I don't see that option in the library. I don't have the right permissions.

Thanks all for the replies.

This missing piece for us as of this moment is that we still have Classic set as the default experience (this will be changing soon), so we don't see the "..." control that was referenced because our Site Pages libraries are still in Classic mode. I guess we could enable modern in each particular library today, though as I said we'll be flipping the master switch soon.

Same for me, except I am using Script Editor Web Parts to hide information based on the users SP Group.

Would love to see a new Calendar Web Part that lets you color code by category without creating multiple views and overlays! The SP Calendars really need some TLC!!! I hate having to consider 3rd party apps like Virto-Calendar to make SharePoint Calendars functional!

@John it is more the requirement to see content by Custom List Type. Although you have content by Issue / Task etc, these are not Modern List friendly at the moment and, I don't want users flopping between the different views on Modern / Old.

We make extensive use of Custom Lists and this would be of particular use. Also, If there could be some way of seeing CDM Content within that web part as well, that would also be very useful as, we are starting to transition some of our content from lists into CDM and using Flow and PowerApps.

@Scott Mckenzie - Thanks for the clarification. Can you expand on what you'd want to see related to common data model service (CDM) content? Is it only using Flow & PowerApps, or data layer access? 

If you imaging a Flow or PowerApp webpart (since we have them in our backlog as ideas); what would you expect it to do?

@John Sanders the Common Data Service Data Layer would be the useful part. We have already started using PowerApps and Flow to recreate a new CRM System in house. We do not want to give access to multiple users therefore, the Data Layer exposed within the Content Query whereby we could display latest entries to the app would be ideal.

We were trying to utilize PowerBI to show the CDM however, the service has not reached Canada as yet like so many other O365 offerings / updates.

Hi @Scott Mckenzie, to clarify, you want to show some of the entries from a table from CDS in SharePoint using a web part? Is that accurate? This is something we have in long-term plans, but no timelines at the moment.

We also wouldn't do any user permission translations, but I guess that is ok by you? I'm guessing the users viewing the web part would have the permisisons to see the data in question, but maybe not to navigate to the Common Data Service pages directly.

So at the moment, your option would be to build a custom web part that uses CDS APIs to query and display the data, and hopefully longer term, we could do it with an out of box web part that lets you pick a table and add some filters to it, similar to what you can do with a SharePoint list.

@Kerem Yuceturk thanks for reply. It would be to show certain entries from CDS Fields. In repspect of permissions, we would be giving access to users based on O365 Groups so translations would not be an issue.

Can the CDS API's currentl by used as an External Data Source within SP Online?

Suggestion: A calendar in which you can make suggestions of différents dates for the meeting that would be great !

Known and the team is working on it. FYI, @Jeremy Kelley (SHAREPOINT)

@Sylvain Jacquemard - Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't know that we'll try to do consensus based scheduling within sharepoint; that's something our Outlook team is much better at.

Check out FindTime for Office 365, using Outlook.

I also just learned of a new Preview we made available in December, called Calendar.Help that uses Cortana to find the best times between users.

You guys are absolutely killing it with the new web parts that have come out (on top of those mentioned above, the links web part was a nice surprise and the PowerBI web part fills a HUUUUGE gap).

We really need the ability to filter the Highlighted Content Web Part by list or library (or even folder for that matter).  We all use Sharepoint so differently and many of us slice and dice data in different ways that we need as much flexibility in surfacing it as possible.  Many times we just use lists or libraries as data dumps and then use it to surface data in some other way.  That's the beauty of SP, the ability to be creative with it.  

Thanks @Clint. Glad they're working out for you.

We have both of your suggestions (filter by list or libraries and by folder) tracked in our Highlighhted content backlog. Thank you.