New Site Pages on existing sites

Iron Contributor

Hi,

In new sites I can already create new Site Pages using the modern interface.

However, in older sites, when I do Add a page, I still get the old style wiki page.

How can I activate the new pages layout on older sites?

Thanks!

16 Replies
You should be able to create new pages not only in new SPO Sites but also in old ones...I have just verified in one of my tenants that it works in that way. Of course, you need to have new UX enabled in your old sites

Thank you for your reply Juan.

I did go into other older sites, and I can see that the new pages are already there.

For some reason, this particular site collection is still holding on to the old page formats.

The Site Page Content type is simply not available.

I've restarted the publishing features, but no luck so far

Hi Juan,

On a similar note with the new Mobile Responsive Pages I have a few questions.

On existing Team Sites where you can create new pages, can the new Pages be set as the default page for the site yet? (Couldn't find the option in the new UX when I was looking for it)

In Groups I've seen the "Pages" option appear in some menu's however when I click home it still goes to the OneDrive experience. Is this expected or going to change in the future?

Regards,
Antony
IMHO new publishing pages are still under development and Microsoft is doing a gradual rollout so it's quite probable we will have stuff that is not working well or with some missing pieces of functionality. For instance, I don't have the make home page option when working with groups in one of my tenants
Excellent thanks Juan.

It's definitely still under development but I guess I expected with all the big fanfare at Ignite that things would be very quickly in FR for testing and building new advisory best practices and use cases.

The potential for this whole Groups = Sites = Yammer thing is huge and helps break one of the biggest confusions around Office 365 use cases (specifically when trying to explain it to potential clients) and I want to push it internally first so that we can find any gotchas and caveats before I start recommending to my clients.
Can you be more specific about enabling "new UX" please ?
I mean the new User Experience for Document Libraries, Lists, Site Content Page, etc.
Adding some folks that might be able to help @Alyssa Danesh, @Dave Cohen

Echoing some of Jorge's comments. I seem to have modern UX pages available in some site collections, and not in others, and I havent quite figured out the common denominator.

I would like to maybe see the ability to turn it off, the same way we can turn off modern lists and libraries.  EDIT apparently it just rolled out or is rolling out now :)

Thank you all for your replies so far.

I noticed some different site collection upgrade dates. Site collections upgraded in September seem to have the  new experience, others last upgraded in august have not.

I've also noticed a different behaviour for different users. I'm in first release. On the same sites where I'm seeing the new experience, other colleagues not on first release still get the old pages.

I think these reinforce the idea that I may have been a little too eager to try it out :p

I'll keep an eye on this thread and I'll let you know of any developments.

Very much looking fwd to that PowerBI webpart in there too.

Yeap, seeing some inconsisten stuff too...for instance I cannot publish new pages on groups...however I'm able to do it in regular team sites

I think it is just not yet fully applied. I have the same issue where a newer site has it but an older one does not. Interestingly on the older site, "site pages" are listed as a content type for the site but not the library. Trying to add it manually just gives an error about a missing feature so I'm leaving it alone.

Oddly, subsites of the site that does not have "Site Pages" do have it, even if they are old. Are there any features in the top level site that might block an upgrade of the site?

It's not too urgent now but according to the admin centre SharePoint framework web parts will be available soon. After that I'm going to town on that bad boy!

I uploaded a modern page from another SharePoint site, and made the following changes to site features and now the page works!

1. Navigate to your SharePoint Online site
  2. Click the gear icon in the upper-right and then choose Site Settings
  3. Under Site Actions, click Manage site features
  4. If SharePoint Server Publishing feature is enabled, deactivate it
  5. Navigate back to managing site features and this time, deactivate the Wiki Page Home Page feature
  6. Navigate back to managing site features one more time and reactivate Wiki Page Home Page feature
  7. Also ensure Site Pages is Activated.

Awesome. thanks for this. I'd sort-a given up on the old sites in SP because of this publishing-feature. I disabled that, enabled site pages and voila - new modern pages!

Hi,

Wiki page is already deactivated. I tried activating on and off but still not able to see Site Page option. Please advise. Thanks