New Library UI - non-required "Required" metadata

Iron Contributor

The new Library UI does not require metadata or content types to be filled out when uploading a document.   This topic was well discussed in the Yammer network, but I feel it is important enough to move here since the Yammer content is to be deleted in September.  

I will try to summarize the issue.  Please comment if I've left out something.  

- The new UI does not require metdata to be filled out, even if the column is set to "required"

- There is no promt for the user to fill out metadata, they must know they need to go to the "details" pane or "quick edit" view to enter metadata after the document is uploaded.

- There is no prompt for content type selection when uploading a document.  

- The document is not marked in anyway to notify the user it is missing metadata or content type.  In the classic library UI, the document would be checked out and could only be checked in once the uploader filled in the required metadata

- Library webparts on pages are affected by the the Library UI view.  When trying to upload a document to a library webpart, Content type selection is buggy if the Libary itself is set to use the new UI.  

As discussed in the Yammer network, these changes are a major blow to businesses that rely on and preach the use of metadata instead of folders.  Microsoft is trying to make document uploading easier for the users, but this type of change in (significant) behavior dramatically affects the design and usage of SharePoint and document storage. Consumption of content via views and other methods requires proper metadata to be filled out, and users are rarely inclined to fix document metadata after it has been uploaded.   Ultimately, these changes make it too difficult to use SharePoint to rigorously structure and drive processes around data.

Some things that were suggested/discussed:

- Bring back the original functionality

- Create an optional library property that lets admins turn on and off prompting for metadata/content types.

- "required" should me "required"

- bring back item checkout on upload

- Mark the document somehow that it is missing required metadata

- when uploading multiple documents, open quick edit immediately for users to add metadata

- better reporting on checked out documents, and which documents may be missing metadata

- required metadata options will clash with folder syncing from windows explorer

I am amongst many other admins who have rolled back the new UI and continue to use the "classic view" until functionality is production ready.  If you would like to read further on this issue, you can access the Yammer thread for a few more weeks:  https://www.yammer.com/itpronetwork/#/Threads/show?threadId=727393585 

28 Replies
Just adding in my support for Eric's post. Please can Microsoft bring back/revise the key functionality. Thank you!

Thanks for bringing this over from Yammer.  I am troubled by the idea that all of the content (hours invested by community members)  will be deleted in Sept.

Hi there @Eric_H In the new Document Library Experience when a metadata column is set to required and there is no default value set you will get a panel that slides is requesting you to enter the required metadata. See here: http://www.sharepointfocus.com/sharepoint/prompting-meta-data-new-document-library-experience/

You aren't prompted to choose a content type when you upload a file to a library with two or more content types added to it though @Deleted. This is far from ideal, especially if you've opted to use content types to implement different information management policies for different classes of information.

Yeap, it works in the way Leo says and that's not right for many customers that give a lot of importance to fill the right metadata for each document. To me we should have the ability to configure (maybe per library) a setting forcing to choose or not the content type when uploading a documet

Yeah, as Leon stated, I can confirm that content types are not prompted, and this is a major problem.  It uploads the file using whatever the default content type is, so the user doesn't even know if the content type is correct without manually investigating.  Also, maybe it is my tenant, but I don't experience what you talk about with the detail panel showing itself when required metadata is needed.  My test columns do not have a default value, and there is nothing that shows there is a problem to the user.  I have to:

- select the file I just uploaded (no files are selected after the upload)

- open the details pane

- Look through the metadata for required fields, and fill in.  

It was argued by someone that training my users could help this, but that rarely works.  I'm working right now on an extranet solution where there are multiple doc types that need to be uploaded by end users.  I can't train these users - it needs to force them to fill in the needed information.  

As I mentioned on the Yammer network, I am shocked this is not getting more attention by admins.  I really thought that having documents with accurate metadata and content types was a critical part of sharepoint functionality.  We're stuck using the old libary GUI still, which is unfortunate.  

@Eric_H @Juan Carlos González Martín Now you are not prompted just on the fact that there are 2 or more content types, but if your default content type has a required field and that field does not have a default value then then the information panel will appear on the right when you upload the document.

That panel then allows you to change content type and enter the meta data. Just a change to the way users do it.

I think it's worth adding a quick recap to this thread, starting with the first of two issues:

Classic document libraries

• Users were given the option to choose a content type when the 'Upload' button was used.
  • Users were not given the option to choose a content type when 'drag and drop' was used.

Modern document libraries

• Users are not given the option to choose a content type when the 'Upload' button is used.
  • Users are not given the option to choose a content type when 'drag and drop' is used.

The second issue (If we ignore 'drag and drop' for a moment) is that:

• Classic document libraries asked users to complete required fields before the file was uploaded
  • Modern document libraries ask users to complete required fields after the file has been uploaded

In practice, this means that required fields are in fact optional where modern document libraries are concerned.

Thanks for providing this excellent summary Leon. As an FYI, I tried to direct message some Microsoft people about this topic but did not get a reply. If anyone knows the status of this issue please comment. Don't let this get issue get sidelined!

Replying to this to bump it again. This is a huge issue I have to say and the new UI for adding and managing metadata is not good enough.

Here's a uservoice request for something connected to it which might help (not mine) - it only has 2 votes.

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/14779278-document...

If there are other Uservoice requests, please share and we can vote. If I have missed an update from MS on this let us know! Smiley Surprised

I still have not heard any comments back from microsoft on this important issue.   However, I have reason to believe that MS is aware of this and may be making changes to the Modern list/libary UI.  Hopefully this comes true.  Please continue to post here or upvote the topic on the uservoice page to press this important issue.  

Thanks. Just voted.

Are there any MSFT people on this thread? ?

@Mark Kashman @Dan Holme

Bumping this topic, as it remains a major roadblock to businesses like ours adopting SP Online.  I did discover a minor improvement - modern library experience does now pop open the details pane when a document is uploaded that requires metadata.  However, the user can simply click anywhere and then there is no indication that the document is incomplete.  Other issues mentioned previously are still unresolved. 

@Mark Kashman  @Dan Holme, can you or someone from the team confirm issues with required metadata are being worked on to make this viable solution for businesses that rely on metadata?  

I did some additional testing with content types.  In addition to the issues listed in the original post, such as not prompting for content type selection on upload, I noticed odd behavior of required fields Assume a document is uploaded and the default content type has a field that requires metadata.  If the user changes the content type, the information pane continues to display the "Missing required information" for the original content type.  If a new content type is selected, the user should not need to fill in metadata for the original content type.

Completely agree - when are we going to get some answers? We are having to stick with the classic UI for this exact reason which is a real shame

Same here. Built a brand new intranet on SP Online but left it in classic due to the metadata.  Interestingly have a read of Tony Redmond's article on a related area and Delve.

https://www.petri.com/efficient-delve-searches-office365

Metadata makes documents findable either by users or the machine!

Anyone have ideas on how to promote this topic and get someone at Microsoft to provide some guidance.  My organization really needs to know if this type of enterprise functionality is even part of the future SharePoint.  Or do we need avoid content types and required metadata in our design/migrations?  I see no comments about this elsewhere, or any mention in the roadmap.  Maybe 3rd part workflow/forms tools will need to supplement (would need to think this through and experiment).  Maybe it is a matter of a new way of thinking as pointed out by @Andrew Gilleran, but there are business processes that will need to be rebuilt. 

Hey all!  Sorry we've been busy getting ready for the SharePoint Virtual Summit (join us! https://aka.ms/SharePointSummit) on May 16th.

The good news is that we TOTALLY UNDERSTAND the situation and the challenges you're describing, as well as the challenges many customers faced with the 'classic' model that prevented documents from being visible to team members if required metadata was not completed. There is work being done to address the scenario.  We're not ready to announce the details, yet.

I'll add @Lincoln DeMaris and @Chris McNulty  to this and will let them reply when they have a chance. 

Thanks @Dan. Yes, we've been working on the required-but-not-required metadata situation for a while, and we've designed a solution that we're not ready to show just yet, but it IS coming. Having written the book on MD (literally), I care a lot about this, too.