New Group calendar web part rolling out now

Microsoft

The SharePoint team is excited to announce the new Group calendar web part! This web part will be added to the toolbox when creating team news articles and modern pages. We are rolling out to First Release customers now!

• Note: only tenants that have First Release (FR) set to on for the entire tenant will see these features.
  • Per user first release flighting is not applicable when creating new content that could be seen/viewed by non FR enabled users. 

What are modern pages you ask?

“Modern team site pages are fast, easy to author and support rich multimedia content. And pages look great on any device, in a browser or from within the SharePoint app. Using pages is a great way to communicate and share your ideas—such as status and trip reports, how-to write-ups, know-before-you-go guides and frequently asked questions.” - from our blog post last year.

Group calendar

The Group calendar web part allows you to easily view the calendar of an existing modern group on a page. Just select the group you’d like to link, select the number of calendar events per page you’d like to show, and the web part will automatically populate the events.

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 8.15.01 PM.png    Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 8.20.00 PM.png

Easily switch between past and upcoming events, get more details about a specific event, and even download the event to add to your calendar.

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 8.20.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-22 at 8.20.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-22 at 8.21.29 PM.png

In the future, we will be listening to customer feedback and adding features! See our support documentation here.

78 Replies

Events with specific times are now showing in the correct time zone, but we're still seeing all day events marked as beginning at 7:00pm of the day prior and ending 7:00pm on the day of. 

Any chance those events could just display as "All Day?"

Same for me. Specific times are now displaying correctly but all day are at 19:00 (or 7:00 pm).

This makes no sense because I am on the eastern time zone (GMT -5) and I don't understand how the usual 3 hours difference become 5.

@Alyssa Danesh I am available to help if required.

Hi Alyssa,

We're getting feedback that users want reoccurring events to display on the events web part.

We also hear feedback to have calendar's that are overlaid to appear on the event web part.

Thanks,

Andy.
Hi Alyssa,

Any news on when this it being released to everyone? Not just first release?

Thanks,

Andy.

At first this web part was showing on all our site pages, Group and Communication. Now it's only showing on group pages and I need to put it on a Communication Site, What happened??

When is the estimated release date? Not just first release?

Hello!

Any news regarding GA for the Group Calendar Web Part? I have a big customer demand for this!

If your admin is in the first release group they can add it to the pages and those not in FR can see it correctly

Are you sure? It says that the full tenant needs to be in First Release? Has is changed?

I just double checked. I'm the admin and in the FR group so I put the calendar on the CommPage we have. I checked with a couple users and they can see it and interact with it if I put it there but they cant add a calendar to a site page (unless there is one already there which was my problem)

That's awesome, thanks for checking!

any ETA for this super basic feature? right now critical web part is almost unusable for my clients stopping them from deploying SPO if the Calendar Web Part can't display in full month, week, day, etc view

Hello!

I'm still having issues with events displaying accurately on our Group Calendar web part.  As shown below, we have several all day events that either occur on one day or span several days.

Hub_Calendar.png

However, in the Group Calendar web part on our Group Sharepoint site, the two one day events on Friday are showing up on Thursday, and the multi-day events are showing up as starting and ending at 7:00PM on their start and end days.

Hub_Calendar Preview.png

Shown below are my Regional Settings.  I tried playing around and setting our timezone to GMT (+0), and while that made the one-day events show up on the right day (Friday), the multi-day events then appeared to start at 12:00AM the FOLLOWING day (as shown below)...

Hub_Calendar Preview 2.png

What's more, events that are scheduled in time (i.e. not all-day events) will show up 5 hours later when using GMT.  It seems as though we can either have all day events showing on the right day OR have in time events showing at the right time.

Is there a fix for this?  Unfortunately, it's confusing our users...

Thanks!

Brad

I had both of these issues too. Our All-Day events I had to just add times to, when I did some searching I think I saw that its not just a problem with the part its something deeper... For the "in time" meetings you already have, check the time zone on the group I think it defaults to something dumb like UTC... Once I found the off timezone it fixed itself.

Yeah, it's working perfect using selective first release without having the whole tenant in FR. Thanks!

Another issue just surfaced. I have my timezone set to GMT+1, hopefully everywhere. However, the calendar entries I create in the group calendar is not shown with correct time in the web part. Is there anywhere else I need to change time zone?

/Magnus

It defaults groups to a different timezone (usually UTC) for every group we make.

• Go to the group site page
  • Click the top right settings button (the little gear)
  • Site information
  • View all site settings
  • Regional Settings
    • Right column under Site Administration
    • Time Zone should be the first option in there
Thanks, I will check that out!
Hi Alyssa,

Any chance we can get an ordinary calendar web part on our modern pages? Events web part is not enough and the group calendar is only for, well, groups :)
We have the need for a modern page with a monthly calendar showing.

We are experiencing some caching problems with the new Group calendar web part on modern team site pages.

Our users have reported that events have the wrong time on the web part, or that the first event shown is a past event. One incident has been that the first event shown in the web part has the wrong time on the web part, while the event itself has got the right time when you click on it.

We have asked our users to do a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5 on windows) or click on the “Sync calendar” button on the web part but this is inconvenient for our users since they have to do this every day.

Has Microsoft experienced the same problem or do they have a solution for this problem?

Hi Torunn,

This could be in relation to the time zone settings on the site? Worth checking.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/change-regional-settings-for-a-site-e9e189c7-16e3-45d3-a090...

There are issues with repeating events no displaying.