Moving Folders - Content and Structure

Iron Contributor

Appreciate help for any inbuilt solution in SharePoint Online to move folders and underlying documents from one sub-site to another sub-site within the same collection. We need to preserve the metadata.

The "Move" feature within the "Content and Structure" seems to work only at the individual document level and not at the folder level. We have large number of folders and files, doing it one by one would take days.

Why would Microsoft not allow the move on folder level, many of users must be spending great deal of time across the world for such a common-sense feature.

Thanks for any help.

5 Replies
The move to command requires a modern UI view, so you will have to activate that for your site if it's not already on. I'm not 100% sure if you can even use the Move to command to a sub site either thou so that may not be an option. You might have to use the SharePoint migration tool, which should allow you to move documents I think it supports retaining history and creaded/modified metadata as well. If not you'll have to look at 3rd party migration which does provide full history/metadata move over.
There are many third party apps from vendors like AvePont's that provide this functionality and much more for a reasonable cost. There are PS scripts that enable this too if you are able to utilize powershell.

Am I incorrect in observing that the SP Migration tool doesn't support site to site migration?

The "Move To" feature seems to need a lot of babysitting for large migrations.

Do you have any links to the PS scripts that might help?

I tried the "Move to" from the modern UI, even though it allows to select the folders and even the destination of a different site, but the final move operation is not successful and gets into following error. "Unable to get property 'code' of undefined or null reference".

SP Move Error.png