Modern web parts on classic pages

Steel Contributor

According to the Sharepoint roadmap from Microsoft, latest presented by Jeff Teper in Geneva in early december, modern web parts on classic pages should launch in Q4 2016. Is this still to be launched before Christmas, or have I missed any announcements on the way?

20 Replies
Have not heard anything yet have you already tried it?

I tried but its not there.

You can not add new webparts to classic pages or Old Webparts to new Pages. :(

Actually I have seen modern web parts in 2010 and 2013. 

At the European Sharepoint conference for the hackathon two developers won based on creating that experience

It is not an official implementation but shows that the new client side web parts can be part of 2010 and 2013 pages in the future. 

More details 

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vesku/2016/11/23/espc-2016-spfx-workshop-keynote-and-hackathon-summ...

Would be nice to do this but seems impossible (in it´s current version) as the framework is new also...it´s not just a simple site update. Of course modifications to fit old sites are welcome to :) Also the link is broken.

As Sharepoint Framework now is in GA I again wonder how modern web parts are supported in classic pages. In a general article about the Framework, it says: "These client side Web Parts works on the new Modern pages as well as in classic pages and even in the SharePoint mobile app." @Vesa Juvonen or @Waldek Mastykarz - could you give us more detailed instructions? 

PS: The source of the quote is here: https://dev.office.com/sharepoint/docs/spfx/enterprise-guidance

I would also like to know when we can expect this. It would be nice to start incorporating some of the new web parts onto our intranet homepage before we eventually cut it over to the full 'modern' UI.

When working with classic pages, you can use SharePoint Framework client-side web parts the same way you would use any other web part. Once deployed in the site, you can add the web part to the page from the web part gallery.

@Waldek Mastykarz wrote:

When working with classic pages, you can use SharePoint Framework client-side web parts the same way you would use any other web part. Once deployed in the site, you can add the web part to the page from the web part gallery.

Is there a way to get the "out of the box" modern web parts on classic pages? I don't know that we're going to be developing our own web web parts any time soon, but I would like to start putting some of the new web parts into classic pages to try make the transition to full modern SharePoint more gradual - at least for our Intranet homepage.

This. Can you do it?

Not at this moment, no. I haven't heard any updates regarding this but will definitely update this thread if I hear anything.

Hi waldek,
Did you hear any update on this? We want to use the Modern web parts like people in the classic pages.
Would appreciate if you can send us any reply on this.

Thanks
Sid

Totally ridiculous that there's this split between modern and classic. A  properly designed product would obviously have added modern as an option and allowed user to choose. It's only a styling change and implying the "architectures" aren't compatible is total bs. Everything is still sadly based on the archaic SP platform. And if there was any truth to that then Msft should have developed it differently.

Hi Siddhartha,
Do you have any update on this? Can we now add out of the box modern web parts in classic pages?

Hi ,

No we cannot add Modern Web Parts on Classic Pages. Tired of waiting for an update from MS and we have gone for adding our own developed SPFX web parts in the classic pages.

Any update on this yet Waldek? Would love to use the News List web part in a classic page.

Sorry, but no news here. The message is still the same: modern WebParts provided by Microsoft are not available in classic pages

What about adding custom developed SPFx web parts to classic pages. Is that available?

Yes, custom web parts built on the SharePoint Framework work just fine on classic pages.

Great! Any links to "how-to-information"?