Modern Page Document Library web part permisson behavor change?

Brass Contributor

Office 365/SPO tenant. I have a modern site page that was set up a few months ago. On that page there are several Document Library web parts linking to corresponding libraries located on that same site site.

All of our users have view/visit permissions to this site. They have access to some of the libraries while some of the libraries have custom permissions only allowing a subset of users.

Up until a few weeks ago, corresponding with perhaps the dot net 4.7.2 release, if a standard user went to the page they would see the library they have access to and all the libraries the were blocked from would not show any content and would instead display inside their web part something to the effect of access denied.

A few weeks ago the behavior changed, that same user going to the same page will now start to load the page, see the web part with the library they have access to with a file listing and then as the other web parts linked to libraries they are not authorized to see start to render they are forwarded to the request access web page. This is across several users without any changes to the page or permissions so it seems something changed on the back-end.

The end result is that the modern landing page as a result is rendered unusable unless the user has rights to all the libraries exposed via the web parts on it.

I imagine this is unintended behavior? Or at least not it has not been announced as expected yet?

As a "workaround" I've had to grant permissions on those restricted libraries for our normal users with restricted rights to allow them to just open the library but not see anything. It's sort of kludgy so I imagine it's not the intended way to solve it, but I had to make a triage fix untill we figure out what is going on and what to expect in the future.

So is anyone else seeing this behavior change?

Is it a bug/issue?

Will it be fixed or will be behavior be reverted to the old behavior?

2 Replies

It seems a bug to me in the modern document library WebPart. Adding here @Vesa Juvonen You should also open a support ticket

It's still a preview webpart so changes are going to happen, they tweaked something recently cause it's not the first time I've seen this complain in the community so best bet is a ticket and see if they will do anything, but I know a major overhaul to that webpart is coming before long.