Modern Group Connected Site: Can't rename Site title

Silver Contributor

What's the trick for changing the display title of SPO site that is connected to a Group? the Site Settings page no longer has the option to do this?

24 Replies
Have you tried the Site Information option in the settings menu?
We have the same problem and the Site Information option is not working. Any change we make there result in a red message stating: "Classification options for your group have changed. Please select the appropriate classification."
The group name is tied to the SharePoint site name, rename the group will rename the SharePoint site after some time (Some kind of job runs to update).
I have opened a ticket with Microsoft, they were able to replicate he problem and it is being escalated to another team but those people don’t work on the weekend so nothing will be getting worked on until then>:(
I have opened a ticket with Microsoft, they were able to replicate he problem and it is being escalated to another team but those people don’t work on the weekend so nothing will be getting worked on until then
did ya'll try renaming the group as a work around via Outlook / admin?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm able to change it in the O365 Admin Center, Groups page. This workaround will be helpful, but MS still needs to fix the bug.

I'm also able to make the change from Outlook 2016

I'm experiencing the same issue, and can't change the site logo/image or site description.

Same. Attempt to change Sharepoint's profile picture results in "classification options for your group have changed."

Change it in Outlook via the Group. It'll propagate across.

Thanks. I've done that already actually. The title got propagated, but the profile image still hasn't after 12 hours. Hopefully it's just a matter of waiting more.

In any case, I'm just glad that others are experiencing the same issue, and not because I put the Sharepoint site/group in a weird state.

yeah it takes some time for it to update from what I remember.

MS Support just called me a told me that some of the internal people are trying to state that this is "By Design", they are pushing back because there is no way that this lack of functionality could be intentional. They will call me back on Monday.

For a group connected site it makes sense thou. However, if that's the design intention when a site is group connected you shouldn't have the option to change it, it should have a link to "This is group connected, click here to change group settings" or something like that.

Otherwise, do the right thing and just let us update the picture / group name via Site Information panel :).

Hi Dean, I hope you don't mind me adding to your post with a somewhat related issue following a Group rename.

In my case, renaming an O365 Group resulted in the Modern Team Site being renamed correctly, however, the original Group name is still reflected under Site Owners.

Example: the O365 Group below was renamed from "c001" (an abstract name) to "Languages":

SitePermissions.png

I'm able to see the Group's associated Owners and Members security principals against the Site:

SitePermissions2.png 

More info regarding the GUID "_o" group can be found here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Site-Collection-Admin-in-Modern-Team-Sites/td-p/35...

I've not found a way to interact with an O365 Groups' associated security principals in order to rename them. Presumably, they're stored in Azure AD given the ties with Exchange Online for a Group inbox, Group calendar etc.

The whole reason I'm using an abstract O365 Group name and then renaming it, is to avoid the situation of seeing a redundant name in the SharePoint URL when a Group name changes.

Group renames will be a common occurrence. All artefacts should be updated reliably, and in a timely manner.

@Dean Gross wrote:

MS Support just called me a told me that some of the internal people are trying to state that this is "By Design", they are pushing back because there is no way that this lack of functionality could be intentional. They will call me back on Monday.

Dean, they are probably right, it most likely wasn't intentional - just yet more sloppy programming that we see all too often now from MS. "By Design" is their excuse for bugs that they let slip by or badly thought out code or functionality. Technically they think "By Design" gets them off the hook, because the code is running as it was written to do. The fact that it's doing the wrong thing is by-the-by for them. I have raised several tickets recently where they tried to use this excuse on me for things that were clearly broken.

Regarding this particular issue, I've just come across it myself trying to rename 6 new site collections. Changing a site collection display name is a standard feature of SharePoint. The fact they even provide an interface to perform this function still on a Modern Team site shows they intended for us to carry on doing it.  To say "there is no way that this lack of functionality could be intentional" is a joke.

Workaround: it is identified that issue is with Home (Landing) page of the group, if we browse the group and click on Documents in Left hand navigation it will change the URL which supports renaming Site name from Site information option.

Open group site > click on Documents in left hand navigation > click on gear icon on top right > site information > and rename the site.

This will be fixed soon

Thanks to @Dan Holme for offering to get involved and helping to get this issue prioritized. He went above and beyond his normal duties and his effort is greatly appreciated.

Anyone know the status of this? I cant change the name of my team sites, just get an error message saying 'An error occurred while processing this request'.

My customer wants a specific naming standard for their Azure AD groups but we dont want that name to be the display name of the site. Is there a way to achieve this? If I change the name of the O365-group it change the name of the Azure AD group as well so that is not an option. I can rename the team but not the Sharepoint site.