Modern Document Library, Internet Explorer, View-In-File-Explorer Function not working

Steel Contributor

The Modern Document Library, using Internet Explorer View-In-File-Explorer funtion is not working.  To get this to work, we have to FIRST Return-To-Classic-SharePoint, then folks can get there using the Classic View method for opening in Explorer.

Clicking on the View-In-File-Explorer option just opens another tab in the same location.  Is this a backend fix or a matter of tweaking a setting?

9 Replies

You are correct, I'm seeing this too.

I believe it is a bug...

FYI, this feature has worked in this way since Microsoft released modern UI for document libraries...is that correct? Obviously not, but it seems is not important to fix it...

This was working last week in the Modern UI.  

For us, we edit PDF files.  To edit a PDF file on SharePoint online, we have to launch from File Explorer.  I have programmers building an app for us so we don't need to edit the PDF files, but that app is not ready for use.

I cannot say if this feature worked before with modern UI, or not.

One thing is sure: today it does not work for me, and instead it should work...

Mmm...first time I'm aware Open with explorer was working directly in the modern UI. If that is the case, then it seems that something rolled out by Microsoft has broken this
Well...apparently it's a known issue reported in the Health Dashboard: SP94907 - Modern document library "Open with Explorer" issue

Title: Modern document library "Open with Explorer" issue

User Impact: Users may be unable to use the "Open with Explorer" feature within modern document libraries.

More info: While we're focused on remediation, users may be able to use the "Open with Explorer" feature by switching to the classic view.

Current status: We're investigating an issue in which some users may be unable to use the "Open with Explorer" feature within modern document libraries. We'll provide an update shortly.

Scope of impact: A few customers have reported this issue, and our analysis indicates that this issue may potentially affect any of your users attempting to use the "Open with Explorer" feature within modern document libraries.

Start time: Friday, February 24, 2017, at 9:46 PM UTC

Next update by: Wednesday, March 1, 2017, at 10:00 PM UT

Thank you Juan Carlos!   Sigh..... and I thought I pay attention to all those things that flash accross my screen.  Clearly I missed this one.  Thanks again!

My pleasure, well to be honest I don't know when this message appeared in the Health Dashboard. I'm pretty sure I wasn't there 6 hours ago :-)...and I'm still wondering when the message related to an App Launcher issue reported by some customer is going to appear

I too remember seeing this in the modern library view but now it is gone.  Our users do love the convenience of opening their files with Windows Explorer to put their documents in their files like they could on a file share.  Hopefully it will come back.