SOLVED

Migrating a SharePoint 2010 library with documents to SharePoint online

Brass Contributor

Hi SharePointers,

We use Metalogix Content Migration for our migration from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint online.  It seems to choke on libraries with document sets.

We have tried creating a template from 2010 and uploading it to the galleries of 2010 and copying the content of the library to the new empty library.

We are asking Metalogix too, but I thought I would ask in here.

The Microsoft SharePoint Migration tool won't allow you to copy from 2010 to Online.  I was wondering what people thought about syncing the library to a local computer and copying the library up to SharePoint online through the Microsoft SharePoint migration tool, which would support that.

If anyone has any other ideas, that would be very much appreciated.

3 Replies
I would recommend you to try Sharegate to overcome the limitation you have with Document Sets migration

Ok, thank you.  I should have also mentioned there is no budget to purchase software to solve this problem.

best response confirmed by Stephen Morley (Brass Contributor)
Solution

HI, @Stephen Morley.

I haven't tried migrating a site collection with Document Sets but there was a recent Ignite session that mentioned for plans with SharePoint Migration Tool version supporting SP2010/2016 by next year. 

Fred

#FredO365Tips

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Stephen Morley (Brass Contributor)
Solution

HI, @Stephen Morley.

I haven't tried migrating a site collection with Document Sets but there was a recent Ignite session that mentioned for plans with SharePoint Migration Tool version supporting SP2010/2016 by next year. 

Fred

#FredO365Tips

View solution in original post