SOLVED

Metadata/columns for subfolders

Deleted
Not applicable

I am trying to migrate a department document library to SharePoint/Teams. If I create subfolders in the default Documents library in SharePoint, I can see them in my Team as well. However, if I instead create new libraries I can't access them through Teams, but have to open in SharePoint first.
I would have liked to create just one Documents library, but it seems that I can't setup different columns for different subfolders (which I need in order to avoid creating a complex tree of subfolders and sub-subfolders).

Is there a way to setup different columns/metadata for subfolders in the same documents library?

2 Replies
best response
Solution

Different columns/metadata for subfolders is not (yet) supported in Modern Document libraries but You can vote for it here: https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/14209284-document...

But a solution that can solve your need is that You can access new/additional Document Libraries from the Team (without first opening SharePoint). Just copy the url to a Document Library, then in a Channel of the Team you can create a new Tab (of the type Website) and enter the address of the Document Library.

Hope that helps!

BR, Magnus

My two cents here:
(1) To access other document libraries you have in your site, just add a Web Tab in your Tem
(2) To support different metadata in different folders, you have to create as many custom folder content types as you need and add them to your document library
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Different columns/metadata for subfolders is not (yet) supported in Modern Document libraries but You can vote for it here: https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/14209284-document...

But a solution that can solve your need is that You can access new/additional Document Libraries from the Team (without first opening SharePoint). Just copy the url to a Document Library, then in a Channel of the Team you can create a new Tab (of the type Website) and enter the address of the Document Library.

Hope that helps!

BR, Magnus

View solution in original post