Metadata Not Apperaing in Document Library

Copper Contributor

I am troubleshooting a site in SharePoint Online in which metadata does not appear. The site is a team site with default settings and the only way for the metadata to be visible is to go into Quick Edit view and have all the columns displayed. If you try and edit the properties of an uploaded document, they do not display. Can anyone share any insight on some possible causes or fixes?

3 Replies
Go into Library settings and see if someone turned on Content types and removed all the meta data on the default content type? Usually the edit item's will use all the columns, but if content type is changed on the columns they won't show up with whatever content type "document" that one is set too. I would check there first.
Thank you Chris, unable to do so until the AM but thanks for the advice. Will do!
Sure thing, I'm pretty sure that is whats happening. Whatever the documents content type is, is what meta data fields you get to modifiy in the details pane. The quick edit view lets you modify columns in the view. The view can have any of the columns in the library regardless of the content type of documents, which is why you can edit the columns showing in the view/quick edit.