List Attachments are opening in Browser (SharePoint Online)where as it should open in Microsoft Word

Copper Contributor

Functionality: In our project  we have SharePoint list where are multiple word attachments are stored

Expected behavior: When item is in edit mode and upon clicking the word attachment it should open in client application(Microsoft Word) as the site collection feature (Open document attachments in Client Application by default) is already enabled.

Observation:

• When using IE 11(Document Mode=Edge) Word document still opens in Browser, which doesn’t help the business process. This is happening very recently. 
  • When we changed the Document mode to IE 10 the document attachment is opening in client application(Microsoft word)

We want to know from Microsoft whether there is any issue with IE 11 Document Mode= Edge or will this be the permanent feature going forward. 

@Mark Kashman , @Chris McNulty Can you please help in this regards.

2 Replies
One observation from my side: you are opening list items attachments here so not sure the feature (Open document attachments in Client Application by default) applies here...I would say that my expectations when clicking on an attachment are two in a list item:
(1) The attachment is directly opened in the browser as happens when you open an attachment in OWA
(2) The attachment is downloaded to your PC so you can open it.

If the attachment opens in Office Online, you can edit from there in the Office Desktop App and modify it...good thing here is that if you open the file in the Desktop App, your changes are going to be saved back to SPO

Hello Juan,
Thanks for the response.

We have a solid requirement of directly opening the attachment in client applications, neither in browser nor to get downloaded offline.

Some months back, we were able to open the list item attachments in client applications in IE Browser only, but recently we observed that it has stopped working. Need to know the root cause for it.