Just created my first Communication Site!

Silver Contributor
Delighted that Communication Sites became enabled on my tenant today. Can't wait to get started with them. Congratulations to the Microsoft SharePoint team.
17 Replies
Hi John,

What was your process to create a communication site? would love to see if they're available on my tenant.
tell us more John, keen to hear a non-marketing view on the experience

You can follow this page for information on creating a communication site:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-communication-site-in-SharePoint-Online-7fb44b20-a...

A good thing to note from this page:

• When you create a communication site, an Office 365 group is not created. However, in order to create a communication site, you must have permission to create Office 365 Groups in Outlook. 
Just click on Create Site on SharePoint Home and go!
I'll be sharing more Warwick! Have you had the chance to explore them yet? I'm quietly impressed :)
Just checked again after witching to Select First Release and can now create comms sites!
I put together some of my first thoughts exploring them up in a post. I think they look are looking quite good. https://www.concurrency.com/blog/june-2017/first-look-at-communication-sites-in-sharepoint-on

Hi Drew - great post.

Any luck finding the built-in site usage page?

Unfortunately we have this button disabled on our tenant.  Would love to know if it's possible to create a communication site without this button.

I see some design issues when logged in with another user (eg. not the user, who created the Communication site). It is some left position issues and top-navigation issues:

image.png

Does anyone experience the same issues?

@Deleted I have seen this in my tests too. Could be that that person might not be on first release?

Correct - I have just tested this, and that seems like the reason by. I have just changed my First Release Select Users to verify this in another tenant as well.

Just created a communication site in one of our tenants. Looks good I have to say. 

One thing though, where as an Admin can I see the site? It's not in the SharePoint Admin Center, I can't see it in the Office Admin center looking at sites or groups (though the documentation says it isn't a group so that's expected).

Powershell only for now, all sites classic, modern and comms will show in the new SP admin centre coming soon... ish....

Is that the SharePoint Online cmdlets?

Yes it is, just tried it, Get-SPOSite

Interesting that the Template is SITEPAGEPUBLISHING#0, but it's not available for use with New-SPOSite :(

I have been playing with Communication Sites on my dev tenant and I am impressed with the ease of use and the overall slickness.  

A lot of good info came out of the AMA yesterday and I pulled together some of this into a collection if anyone is interested.

SharePoint Communication Site Resource Collection.png