SOLVED

Issues with Mega Menu Navigation Links to other Sites

Brass Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Configuring the Mega Menu on the Default modern communications hub site (new tenant), when going to save after adding the URL to another associated private team site it won’t actually save. (At one stage got a Something went wrong message below the Hero WebPart)

Have not added any other permissions besides the default Everyone except external users to the comm site; would this cause issues?

The admin account (SharePoint Service Administrator role) being used is in Owner group of all sites...

Would Global Admin (Company Administrator) make a difference here? i.e. from SP Admin Center.

UPDATE: Made the SP Admin account the Site Collection Owner, and that made no immediate difference.

The other thing, not sure if new change, but when saving headers in the Mega Menu they get turned into URLs that go to the root site address... 

Anyone experience this or know what has missed? 🧐:thinking_face: did not have any of these issues when doing this in an existing tenant.

9 Replies
best response confirmed by Andrew O'Young (Brass Contributor)
Solution

While on hold to Microsoft O365 Support, I found that I could create a NEW URL Link successfully.

Appears to be a bug with Headers being saved and turning into URLs to the root site, and cannot be edited to point to a URL from something outside of that Site Collection.

Will recreate placeholder Headers as URLs in the meantime.

The bug that headers turns to URL links is super annoying.
I tried everything.
Deleted the menu, unregistered as a hubsite and the registered again but still the same problem.
Any updates on this problem?

@Andrew O'Young 

I experience the same issue.

When I start building the menu everything works fine. But after several entries it suddenly refuses to save the links. (there is no errors shown) 

/Henrik 

@Andrew O'Young this is still an issue in 2020.....

Hey!
Were you able to add an external link to the mega menu? I keep trying and it is not letting me add an external link to a third party site. If i create a link for a normal intranet location, it works fine. Any suggestions?
Hi Diveshgup,

Just tried in my tenancy, one of the old link placeholders with the site's URL - changed to something external didn't seem to update.
Removing and adding in a link to external site seemed to work though.
Hi Simon,

Looks to have been an update at some point, it's no longer called a Header.

Just created a Label, and it is NOT a Link to the site's URL!

Hi Emil,

It appears this issue has since been resolved.
Headers have been renamed to Labels, just tried it out and it is just text! :)

Hi Henrik,

Have you had this issue since, in that tenancy?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Andrew O'Young (Brass Contributor)
Solution

While on hold to Microsoft O365 Support, I found that I could create a NEW URL Link successfully.

Appears to be a bug with Headers being saved and turning into URLs to the root site, and cannot be edited to point to a URL from something outside of that Site Collection.

Will recreate placeholder Headers as URLs in the meantime.

View solution in original post