If I had a hidden field which is only set by PowerApps, could I prevent everybody else from Updating

Iron Contributor

Hi

If I had a hidden field, which is only set by PowerApps. Could I prevent everybody else from updating that list ?

Thanks

Nigel

6 Replies

Nigel...turn on content types and then go into the content type and set the field to hidden.  It will now be hidden from any forms and controlled by your Power App

Hi Steve

Thanks for this.

Is it hidden to everybody including Administrators ?

Thanks

Nigel

Hi Nigel...yes it would be hidden for everyone, including administrators.  SharePoint does not provide field level security. 

The workaround is to create a form specific for the Administrators so it can be secured and they can navigate to it.

Hi Steve

Can you point me in the direction of some documentation on this please ?

Thanks

Nigel

Hi Steve

I can see how to create a personal view and how to create a public view, but not one for administrators only.

Regards

Nigel

Nigel...

Hidden fields are hidden on forms only.  They will still be available for views.  What I was suggesting is a couple things:

1. Create a new form, including the hidden field, that is only accessible to the administrators.  You'll have to create a URL for them to access the form and then you can secure that URL (IE Page) to only those administrators.
  2. If you need a view, create a new web part page and add the list/library to the page where the view contains the hidden field.  Secure the page to only administrators.  You'll also need to make sure that users cannot create views (personal or public), which would expose the hidden field (security settings).  To be clear, views are not secure able but pages with controlled views can be.
  3. On the same page as the list/library, add another web part to include the same list/library with a view that contains the hidden field.  Use audience targeting so the administrators can see the hidden field in the view.

Hopefully this gives you a couple options depending on you're scenario.