Ideas for external collaboration

Copper Contributor

Q: what're some ways you've collaborated with SharePoint stored documents (namely word) that involves both internal (employees) and external (contractors) users?

Context of our setup

We used to pass word documents across different SharePoint folders and stakeholder groups would just monitor, do their edits, shuffle to the next folder. They manually reviewed from time-to-time to see what their inventory looked like.

I moved out of the folder shuffle and have them using MS Flows to send to the next stakeholder group, by doing it this way I'm using SharePoint like a rudimentary Salesforce where the Flow triggers then records date/times, status changes, approver/rejection details, etc., help us tell a better story with data where before they just had a tally of units completed.

We frequently use @mentions in the comments of the MS word doc internally but one of the stakeholder groups are all contractors and aren't part of the o365 setup so can't be mentioned like the internal users. I thought about MS Teams but some of the contractors only do this single function and only a few times a month so educating them on the use of a new tool, having the additional cost, etc.

We may just stick with email communication (how it's been done historically) but I was curious if anyone has had any interesting workarounds or solutions they've used in the past when collaborating on documents with internal and external users as part of the unit of work's completion story?

1 Reply

Hi @Joseph_Dunphy,

We use External sharing for some of our sites where it is justified. External users are able to connect to the site and work like a normal user, albeit with a slightly different site experience.

External sharing requires a Microsoft or a work or school account in Azure AD from another organization. On-boarding users can be challenging but other than that it works well.

I hope this helps.

Norm