Hub Site Management

Iron Contributor

I am researching SharePoint Hub sites on Office 365 and wanted to know if it is required to have a mail-enabled security group allow people to associate their hub sites or can an Office 365 group suffice?

5 Replies
No, it's not required...you can join a modern or a classic site to a Hub site

Classic site can be joined to hub site but it'll only be added to top navigation, it'll not have other features like site activity roll up , search, news or design.

He means does it require a mail enabled group to turn on a set of users to be able to add a site to a hub :p.

I would think so but I can’t confirm that. I’d say just try and see :). If it doesn’t work for a user in it or it errors you’ll need to create that mail enabled group. I would think so cause it explicitly calls that out in the docs.

@Chris Webb wrote:
He means does it require a mail enabled group to turn on a set of users to be able to add a site to a hub :p.

@Chris Webb  You are correct. I could just test it out, but my question is why push Office 365 Groups for access to SharePoint Online sites if you are not going to use them to control attaching to Hub Sites.

I'm sure it'll get changed in the future, it's still early so it's just their quick fix to be able to allow non admins to join to hubs would be my guess.