How to auto read meta data from images

Brass Contributor

Hello to the MS Community,

I am currently looking for a solution how we can restore an important function in SharePoint Online.

We used the app "Picture Library" to share some stock photos in the team and also used the automatic reading of EXIF meta-data (keywords, title, description, copywright, author). This worked great until the end of last year. As we have now learned in forums and also through a direct request to MS Support, this feature has been disabled/removed.

We don't want our users to have to switch to a new system again.

So my question is, is there a way in the whole O365 world to read EXIF data from an image and write it to a column in SharePoint?

We're currently trying out Flow & Azure and the Computer Vision API, but they detect their own tags and don't read them. D

Many thanks in advance!
wit4r7

2 Replies

There is a 3rd party tool named SLIM Companion Explorer. It can extract metadata from images (e.g. GPS coordinates, date/time taken, ...) and capture them into SharePoint columns during uploading. Apart from image formats like jpg, png, gif, bmp, tiff and svg) the tool also supports extraction of metadata from pdf and Office files. The tool support multiple metadata schemes (e.g. EXIF, IPTC, XMP and ICS).
Note: I am affilated with the vendor.

Paul | SLIM Applications