SOLVED

How to add the picture library in Communication site?

Brass Contributor

I would like to create the picture library in a communication site but can't find it. How can i add it?

11 Replies

I can not find it as well maybe a feature?

By Design Communication sites does not have same default options we have on modern SPO Sites and classic ones....some of the missing features can appear if you enable then, but I would recommend to do it first on a test site so you can understand what effects introduce enabling those missing features on a Communication site
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

There is no picture library per se, but you can do the following. It just depends on what you want to do with the images.

• Option 1: Create a document library and put pictures in it - call it Pictures if you like! Add the Picture content type to the Doc lib and make it the default so you can see the digital image metadata. Use the Tiles view to see thumbnails of the images or surface the images in an Image Gallery web part on a page. 
  • Option 2: Create an Image Gallery web part and add your images to the gallery. You can give the images a title and a caption as you upload them. This creates a Folder called Image Gallery (followed by a bunch of characters) as a sub-folder of the Site Pages library in the Site Assets library.
  • Option 3: If the purpose of adding the images is about having a fixed library to use on pages, you can also pre-upload images to a folder or directly to the Site Assets library. That's the default storage space for all images used on modern pages. The images on a page land in a Folder that is dynamically created (along with the Site Assets library) when you use your first image on a page. Each page gets a Folder with the same name as the name of the page (but if you update the page name, the folder name does not change). So the path for page images is Site Assets  (library)> Site Pages (folder) > Name of Page (folder).

Nice Response I agree with these options!!

• Option 1: Create a document library and put pictures in it - call it Pictures if you like! Add the Picture content type to the Doc lib and make it the default so you can see the digital image metadata. Use the Tiles view to see thumbnails of the images or surface the images in an Image Gallery web part on a page.  [We found most of the 3rd party photo albums are refer to picture library instead of document library]
  • Option 2: Create an Image Gallery web part and add your images to the gallery. You can give the images a title and a caption as you upload them. This creates a Folder called Image Gallery (followed by a bunch of characters) as a sub-folder of the Site Pages library in the Site Assets library. [The default Image Gallery web part is not good enough, can not be show the picture as an album]
  • Option 3: If the purpose of adding the images is about having a fixed library to use on pages, you can also pre-upload images to a folder or directly to the Site Assets library. That's the default storage space for all images used on modern pages. The images on a page land in a Folder that is dynamically created (along with the Site Assets library) when you use your first image on a page. Each page gets a Folder with the same name as the name of the page (but if you update the page name, the folder name does not change). So the path for page images is Site Assets  (library)> Site Pages (folder) > Name of Page (folder).

For those that have 3rd party migration tool such as ShareGate, you can migrate a picture library.  I just did this and the icon is an image, so I'm guessing it found an picture library 'template'?  This post is almost a year old, so maybe SharePoint has a picture library now, but I too did not see it as an option for Add App...

Just to close this thread out and complete the loop on things where there once wasn't a solution, there will be a solution for this by the end of 2018, and announced in the following link:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-SharePoint-Blog/Build-your-modern-intranet-with-Sha...

Search for 'Central Asset Library' for the small detail on this. I'm just waiting to find out how this works exactly, because as you have probably already seen, the 'Asset Library' is not available by default in a modern communication site.

Regards,

Jason.

When creating a new Communication Site, the Site Assets library doesn't exists.

The Site Assets library is (also) created automatically by:

1. Creating a new News article
  2. Adding a new Image web part
  3. Uploading a new image and add it to the article
  4. Save the Draft or Publish the article

By now you will have a new Site Assets library created and the uploaded image on it.

Real easy, isn't?

Similar issue, i enable team collaboration and it works.

Thanks Tho Huat, that did the trick on my communication site

@Jean-Paul van den Bogert Late response but I don't see the obvious answer here in case anyone comes across this question.

"Modern" is simply a partially deployed cosmetic skin and SP's back end functionality hasn't changed so it's easy to import the picture library app into a modern site. 

• Export/save a pic library from a classic site
  • Navigate to your modern site wp gallery using SP Designer or file explorer (if you have network locations set up), and import the app.

Url if needed is /sites/xxxx/_catalogs/wp/Forms/AllItems.aspx

Msft tries to make this more difficult than it should be so there may be some of the gotchas mentioned above, but basically you can still use much of the classic functionality Msft has hidden or removed with no issues.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

There is no picture library per se, but you can do the following. It just depends on what you want to do with the images.

• Option 1: Create a document library and put pictures in it - call it Pictures if you like! Add the Picture content type to the Doc lib and make it the default so you can see the digital image metadata. Use the Tiles view to see thumbnails of the images or surface the images in an Image Gallery web part on a page. 
  • Option 2: Create an Image Gallery web part and add your images to the gallery. You can give the images a title and a caption as you upload them. This creates a Folder called Image Gallery (followed by a bunch of characters) as a sub-folder of the Site Pages library in the Site Assets library.

View solution in original post