How do I prompt users to add metadata using content types (now only works when opening a template)?

Copper Contributor

Hi - 

I am trying to find a way for users of our Sharepoint site to be prompted to add metadata when creating a new document in a library. I cannot make the metadata compulsory as many users will sync the library to their computers (using onedrive for business) and we do not want all of those files to be read-only. 

I read that creating content types generates metadata prompts. 

We have a branded template for a word document and a powerpoint presentation. These templates are saved in the library as .pot and and .dotx file types. I have created content types using these templates and added the content types to the library.

Creating new documents based on these content types works fine online and on desktop apps, but does not prompt users to add metadata. 

However - if a user opens the template files saved in the library through the synced folder on their computer then the system DOES prompt them to add metadata. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to get this prompt functionality to work when creating a new document online based on a content type? 

Thank you for your help! 

1 Reply
You will need to develop the prompt for sure....best option that comes to my mind is to create a SFPx Extension