SOLVED

How do I know which user is hitting a particular SQL Server on my SharePoint Server?

Brass Contributor
Hello,

I need to understand which user is hitting a particular SQL Server on my SharePoint Server? Also which web service is being hit? Also which app service is being hit?

I checked the Central admin > Upgrade and migration > Review Database Status for connected db's however that can be the aliases too right?

Thanks.

4 Replies

The accounts that hit SQL from SharePoint are the app pool accounts in IIS for the respective web applications.  You can start a SQL Trace and monitor traffic/accounts coming in and view activity.

Thank you for the answer Steve.

But will this be applicable for a particular user?

Because I couldnt find anything handy.

Regards

best response confirmed by Test SharePoint (Brass Contributor)
Solution

No...even though SharePoint is very "user" aware and contextual to that user with regards to security, version control etc, when SharePoint communicates with SQL it uses the app pool account.  Getting traffic for a particular user from SQL traffic isn't possible.  You'll need to rely on the SharePoint audit/reporting logs for that.

HTH.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the above answer. I had another query: If I pull out the audit/reporting logs, I can only view Usage Details: Views for visitors. Also, I can see the number of views and updates made to a particular document location. Is there anything else from the SQL point of view?

regards

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Test SharePoint (Brass Contributor)
Solution

No...even though SharePoint is very "user" aware and contextual to that user with regards to security, version control etc, when SharePoint communicates with SQL it uses the app pool account.  Getting traffic for a particular user from SQL traffic isn't possible.  You'll need to rely on the SharePoint audit/reporting logs for that.

HTH.

Steve

View solution in original post