SOLVED

How can I remove 'Link' from the new-menu in a modern library?

Deleted
Not applicable

I want to remove the Link-option from the new item-menu in a modern library with custom content types. I can't find any resources how to do this. There is no content type connected to this option. Anybody here who knows how to do this?

9 Replies

I was hoping that the followng steps would work:

Go to the library

Library Settings

Advanced Settings

Enable Content Types

In the library settings add a document content type

This does remove all the options except for the link.

Then I treid switching back to the classic style and the link option disappeared. So it looks like this only works in the old style libraries.

Bummer.

I want to clean up the new item menu in some libraries where I work specificaly with content types. 

So I allready found out that dispite the use of content types the 'link' item stays as part of the new item menu.

best response
Solution

Yes this is correct as you always have to be able to link to different documents in libraries. i understand you want it away so maybe a good one for uservoice https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/

I have the same issue. It is not possible to remove Link option from the New-menu. This definitly should be a matter of a configuration choice.

I can see the benefits of having the Link-option in a document library, but in my case, I have a custom list. When I add a link to my custom list, it does not show up! So, the functionality seems to be broken on custom lists?

//Maggan

I too would like to remove this option and would like to know if this can be done.

Hi Rebekka -

Have you been able to figure out how to do this? Would PowerShell do it?

No, I have not been able to remove the Link option from the new-menu. My guess is that you need to do some development with the SPFx extention framework to alter this. So, no IT Pro - Power User option as far as I know.

Thanks for letting me know!

@Rebekka Aalbers-de Jong wrote:

No, I have not been able to remove the Link option from the new-menu. My guess is that you need to do some development with the SPFx extention framework to alter this. So, no IT Pro - Power User option as far as I know.

That's really odd..... But inline with many of MS's recent decision making!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Yes this is correct as you always have to be able to link to different documents in libraries. i understand you want it away so maybe a good one for uservoice https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/

View solution in original post