Help:Excel on Mac cannot open file on sharepoint

Copper Contributor

Usually, we use excel web app to edit files on Sahrepoint. Since some files are embeded with VBA, saved as .xlsm, excel web app cannot function correctly. Therefore, system ask us if we want to open the file by excel application on local machine, and of course, Yes. 

But after safari call excel to run, it takes a long time and comes out "server no response".

is there any one knowing how to fix it??

Thanks!

System:Mac OS X , office 2016

5 Replies
Basically no matter if you are in a MAC or in a Windows PC, Excel Online does not support Excel files with VBA code embedded...you need to use the desktop app

To Juan,

Yes! So I tried to open file with Desktop app, but it shows "can't connet to server".

I am wondering how to coodinate sharepoint and excel desktop app, and I can load or save the file on sharepoint.

Hope there is someone knows how to do!

When I cannot opening excel/word files from SharePoint ... I've always been able to open by launching Excel/word on the desktop, then navigate to SharePoint, selecting the file.

To Navigate to SharePoint, I copy/paste the SharePoint-Folder-URL in the space where it asks for the file name.  

For me, this problem happens only with Excel.

I can check out a file but when I try to open in Excel, either from the SharePoint menu or from Excel, I get the same message that the file cannot be downloaded.

Personal experience, I can download the excel file, but I cannot do any coordinate work in my mac and then update the file on sharepoint. It is really troublesome...

Besides, when use windows 10, it only works with administration...

It is really something "more than words....."