Guest account not created with External User and verification code

Copper Contributor

One of my users wants to set an alert for an external user. To receive the alert the external user must be listed as a guest user in our Office 365 portal and therefore they need to login the first time.

But the problem is, that the user only receives a verification code, he doesn't get the option to create or login with a Microsoft account.

Now I tested it with a new Gmail account, I indeed receive a verification code an not an option to create an account. After user the verification code the guest user isn't created in our tenant.

So I created a Microsoft account with the new Gmail account, invited the test user again thinking I know would get the option to login with my newly created Microsoft account, but nope, a verification code again.

So what is the proper workflow here? 

4 Replies

@Rudy Mens 

Collection option set = Anonymous login?

@Ronaldvdz 

Yes, anonymous access is allowed, but they will have to open the link with the email account that is given. In this case, I created a link for a specific user.

Hi @Rudy Mens,

If you send an Anyone link, then the recipient will never need to sign-in (and thus no account will be created).

If you send a specific people link, that is also the case today (there are some cases when the recipient is using O365 and they do get an account in your directory). If you enable the new preview though, you'll find that all guests do get an account created. Hope that helps!

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive

@Stephen Rice 

In this, we are indeed creating a specific link for the users. I took a quick look at the AzureAD B2B preview and it looks like what we want/need. I will dive into further this week. Thanks!