SOLVED

Getting Link to a Document with Modern Document Libraries

Steel Contributor

With the new "modern" document libraries UI it seems almost impossible to get a "normal" link. Meaning a link that is does not contain "guesttoken" and a GUID. But an old school URL with a readable path.

Is the guidance to generate a link using "Get Link" for all link needs? Doesn't seem like there is any other options.

One challenge is that at the time of link generation one needs to determine if the link is for editing or viewing. Based on document lifecycle this may change. For example, I want to send someone a link to a document in an email and to start they are just supposed to view it. Later that person needs to edit the document. Do I need to then send them the Edit link?

I am assuming too that the generated link is to the current location of the document and is not releated to the Document ID feature. So if a document changes location a new link would need to be generated.

It seems this functionality was put in place to facilitate the external sharing features? Maybe? It is admittedly, tripping me and our SharePoint team a bit. We like readable URLS. :)

21 Replies

I have developed an SPFx extension to solve this problem. The extension can be easily deployed. Please find more details on this in my blog post. Hope this helps.

sweet alert.png

Hello everyone, I have created an application customizer and it generates the url with id as OOB.

https://sharepointhd.wordpress.com/2019/03/30/copy-link-trouble-in-document-library-modern-sharepoin...

It also generates url with ID for pdf files, which it doesnt do OOB

@Eric Adler