Flow doesn't process multiple value in custom list

Copper Contributor

I created a basic Flow to generate an email when a new item is created on a Custom list.

The flow works without problems until I add a Multiple Choice or Lookup to a multiple choice field.

The error I receive when the flow runs is:

InvalidTemplate. Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Send_Email' inputs at line '1' and column '2175': 'The template language expression 'triggerBody()?['Tasks']?['Value']' cannot be evaluated because property 'Value' cannot be selected. Array elements can only be selected using an integer index. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'.

5 Replies

@Davide Picone

Please read over this thread. I spent about 2 weeks working on this and ultimately Flow Support forums could not fix the issue and said multiple choice value fields are unsupported at this time in flow.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/SharePoint-list-submission-notification-...

I did not want to accept this as an answer as this had worked for me for multiple months up to the change about a month and a half ago.

I have an open support ticket with Microsoft through our Enterprise Agreement now to investigate. They agree that functionality should not have been removed in an update and are currently investigating. It has been about a week since I heard back from my case worker.

Hi Robert,

Product team investigated regarding the issue and confirmed that due Choice column with multiple values allowed is an array, and hence flow is converting the action into “Apply to each” loop. Please verify if your column, and verify if it is same as shown in attached screen shot.

As a workaround, product team is suggesting to use “Compose” action instead and use “concat” function to avoid looping. While sending email use the

Please find the below link regarding concat and “Join” operation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/data-operations

Regards,

Narender Reddy Satty

Engineer - Microsoft Business Intelligence

Here is one workaround:

1. Create variable called, for example, test1;

2. Create variable called, for example, test2;

3. Set test1 variable to your multiple choice field value (it will be automatically put in "Apply to each"):

3.1. Name = test1 variable + delimiter (in my case delimiter is coma);

3.2. Value = yuor multiple choice field.

4. Right after setting test1 variable add action "Append to string variable":

4.1. Name = test2 variable;

4.2. Value = test1 variable.

5) Put output of "Append to string variable" wherever you need.

See screenshot with example.

Thanks but the document I linked to back in January worked just fine.

A bit of a long way to do it, but works perfectly.
As a side not, you only need one "test1" variable if you are doing this to multiple multiple choice fields
ie
create test1
create choiceField1
create choiceField2
create choiceField3

Apply to each
Name = test1 variable
Value = your multiple choice field + delimiter (in my case delimiter is coma);
Right after setting test1 variable add action "Append to string variable":
Name = choiceField1 variable;
Value = test1 variable.

etc