Filters Pane (Smartfilters) now available; plus new updates!

Microsoft

Quickly find the item you need!  

Filters Pane (previously known as Smartfilters) began rolling out at the end of January and I am excited to announce it is now available for use in Modern document libraries and lists. Find your content faster by using this new feature to filter metadata inside your library or list.

Filters PaneFilters PaneFor more details on the feature, visit the help article

Along with availability, the Filters Pane has a new capability of pinning. Any column in your list or library can be added to the Filters Pane via the Pin feature. To pin a column you want to add to the Filters Pane, select Pin to filters pane in Column Settings. 

pin screen shot.png

Pinning will become generally avaliable at the end of the week.

We hope this feature can help you find your content easier and faster. We look forward to hearing your feedback! 

52 Replies
Hello Scott, are you still seeing these issues?

The fix should be rolled out to everyone now.

Hello Yuri, 

The Filters Pane has replaced the classic Managed Metadata Naviagation experience. We automatically take the metadata nav config and surface settings in Filters Pane. The filters pane supports all column types, including managed metadata's tree view of taxonomy.  We did have a bug with showing the MMS column type.. this has been fixed and in PROD. 

The filters pane configuration is per library, not per user. If you pin columns in a view, all users will be able to see the pinned column in that lib. 

Yes managed metadata can be pinned. 

Hi Nils, sorry you are seeing this behavior. 

We did have an issue with managed metadata selection in the filters pane, but the fix is rolled out to everyone. 

I want to confirm, you ARE seeing some managed metadata columns working in the filter pane? How did this specific column get added to the filters pane? Did you pin, or was the column part of your metadata nav settings? (It shouldn't matter, but I want to try and repro.)

Best,

MIceile 

yes, the latest roll out appears to have fixed this.  Thanks!

I can still not repro. Can you send me a fiddler trace?

Best,
Miceile

Hi @Miceile Barrett

It's still not working for us too, we have a couple of managed metdata site columns and the filtering doesn't work on the one that allows multiple selections but it does work on the one that is single selection only.  Also there seems to be no way of selecting just a parent term and 1 child, it always selects all the childeren terms as well.  For example we can't choose to display documents relating to all of USA and 1 state.

Hi Miceile,

yes, I'm still seeing this- the sceenshots are a couple of hours old.

• If the column contains only my taxonomy metadata, there's no issue filtering it (works great, even). I can only replicate the issue in an enterprise keywords column.
  • It was added right in the list, not via content type.
  • Metadata navigation (in SPO classic view) has not been turned on (we're currently making the switch to SPO).
  • The views seem not to be an issue; I've used views from  all items (without foldesr) to my specific views and the issue persists. 
  • Neither does pinning or not pinning this column make a change; in the previous screenshots it was added automatically but I've tried both ways now.
  • It doesn't change either when I create the coloumn on a regular team site vs. a group site made via MS Teams.

Sure, I'll need to get back to my desktop tomorrow morning (I'm based +9 hrs from Seattle) and get it set up though. 

Hi Miceile,

I'm on a machine with sensitive data where I'd rather not grant all the permissions to Fiddler. Right now I can't spend the time to get it working on another machine- I'd be happy to screenshare on my Mac / virtualized Windows though if that's of any help.

Best, 

Nils

Thanks Nils, this was great. We will try to figure out what is going on without the fiddler trace.

FYI: I did turn on the metadata navigation now- didn't change anything.

I'm also exhibiting these issues.

I was able to repro the Enterprise Keyword issue to find the cause of the bug. We have a fix and it will be avaliable to everyone August 28. 

Thanks for helping us fix this :) 

Great stuff! Thanks for the update..

Hi Miceile, just a quick feedback- its working! Thank you and your team!

P.S. Is there a way to apply AND in a filter, not OR? I.e. filter to a narrower subset of documents that include both keyword 1 and keyword 2

I am having issues with filtering based on a managed metadata column though. If I select a term that has no sub-terms it is working fine, once I get to a sub-term though the filtering breaks and shows me items that do not have the selected metadata.

Managed metadata columnManaged metadata column

This is not working for me on my tenants. Has it been fully rolled out?

It has been fully rolled out. @Joe Fedorowicz are you seeing any version of the filters pane? 

When I select a value to filter, it gives me this response:

"We didn't find anything to show here. Remove filters to see your items."

Which is untrue. If I set it using the old method it works just fine.

Hi Nils,

To answer your PS: If I understand the question correctly then we do support this functionality. The filters pane works as an AND command across different columns. For example, if you filter by the user that modified a file and a specific date, we will only show items modified by that person on that exact date.

For your bug, my team and I are still not able to get a repro of this. The breadcrumb on your screen shot is only showing one filter, but the filters pane is showing two items selected. Are there any other details about this column that you can tell me? Did you use column header filtering to get this screen shot?
Sorry Joe, I thought you were saying you were not able to see the filters pane at all.

You are seeing issues with managed metadata columns in the filters pane? Are these enterprise keywords?