Filters Pane (Smartfilters) now available; plus new updates!

Microsoft

Quickly find the item you need!  

Filters Pane (previously known as Smartfilters) began rolling out at the end of January and I am excited to announce it is now available for use in Modern document libraries and lists. Find your content faster by using this new feature to filter metadata inside your library or list.

Filters PaneFilters PaneFor more details on the feature, visit the help article

Along with availability, the Filters Pane has a new capability of pinning. Any column in your list or library can be added to the Filters Pane via the Pin feature. To pin a column you want to add to the Filters Pane, select Pin to filters pane in Column Settings. 

pin screen shot.png

Pinning will become generally avaliable at the end of the week.

We hope this feature can help you find your content easier and faster. We look forward to hearing your feedback! 

52 Replies

Hi

The filtering is still not working right for me.  For example when I click the parent term "Strathmerton" documents are corrrectly filtered to "Strathmerton" and all child term tagged docs.

1.png

Then when I deselect "Administration" the docs tagged under that term are removed.2.png

BUT then when I deselect "General" All filtering stops and every document is shown, without any error message.

3.png

The only way to restore filtering is to Select the parent term again, deselect and reselect it again.

I realized (by trial and error) that the way it was set up is that when you are picking multiple values within a column, it treats them as OR statement, but when you are picking values from multiple columns it treats it as an AND statement. Probably a good thing to make sure is covered with in the documentation (if it isn't already), so people realize that this is how it is set up.

I'm still loving the new Smartfilters pane!

One thing I also liked in the classic interface is you could use both a tree format and a "key filters" UI, a primary benefit of the later being the ability to type-ahead to a specific term, so you don't have to drill down a complicated tree if you already know what term you want to tag the file with.

Might some sort of type-ahead function be possible in the modern Smartfilters pane?

This is what I was looking for in my earlier question. What I am looking for is to cumulate enterprise keywords.

I.e. I have a document library in which each document is tagged with a number of enterprise keywords that let me know what general topics they're about. Often I want to see only documents that contain keyword 1 AND keyword 2, thus severly narrowing down the number of documents I see. Right now I have to manually scroll down and individually pick the documents that I contain both keywords. I've already found that I've overlooked some doucments that way. 

In other words- I would love to have a default OR filter as it is right now but get the option of an AND filter when filtering within the same column.  

@Nils Hempel wrote:

In other words- I would love to have a default OR filter as it is right now but get the option of an AND filter when filtering within the same column. 

Yes, and, building on that, it would also be nice to have an option of an OR filter when filtering across multiple columns.

Hi @Miceile Barrett , do you think the key filters/type-ahead functionality from the classic sites will be brought into the Smartfilters pane at some point?

At what permission level is "Pin to Filter Pane" available? It seems like they are not available to contributors. This can be kind of painful for admins as I am constantly getting emails stating that their column isn't available in the Filter Pane and then I have to go and add it in for them. It would be great to have this option available so people could add it to the Filter Pane. Even if it were not permanent, it would still be helpful within a session.

Shelley

Hi,

This is how one of our document library view looks like with Filter Pane enabled. Two questions based on this:

1) The result set shows files that are created in Year 2017. But neither Modified/Created slider in the Filter Pane reflects it. Is there any reason?

2) The created since 2018 shows year 2019+ in the slider. Won't that slider be useful if it shows date prior to today or the year (or the year of a file that is the oldest in that doclib or list)?

Result set not reflecting in Filter PaneResult set not reflecting in Filter Pane

Hi,

Filter Pane is helpful to refine the view results. Few questions on its behavior:

1) Based on Meta Data Navigation settings, default fields/columns are shown in the Filter Pane

2) What are other default columns that will automatically show up based on the view results?

3) I notice "Type" appears on the Filter Pane if there are multiple types of files in a view result. Is this configurable?

Hi I am having a problem.The filters options that I see can be Pinned or deleted. Once I delete one of them is there a way to get it back?

Click on the column header, you will see option to either add it to filter or pin it.

Thanks

Great Thx. for the quick answer!

Hi, I'm setting up the same scenario as in your snapshot by the metadata in the filter cannot be collapsed.  In your snapshot it seems you have the option of collapsing and expanding the terms.  How did you set that up?