Export to Excel - Change File Type

Copper Contributor

Due to security restrictions provisioned on our local environment and published through GPO, the SharePoint Export to Excel feature is blocked.  Because our security team feels that downloaded .iqy files is a "threat vector" exporting an excel file as an .iqy is not going to be accepted.  The only option for a user at this time to export to excel from an SPO list, is to individually add the user to an exception list.  Obviously, this is not efficient and frustrating for an end user. 

Is there a possible work around or method within SPO/O365 to change the file type when exporting to excel that anyone may know of?

3 Replies

Hello Laura,
I agree. In 2016 #Microsoft stopped AccessServices, then they silently buried excel services also. I think it’s consequence to leave all xml services (you remember silverlight?) and to move towards more JavaScript. None of the steps isn’t really user friendly. What helps is to arguing against it until they give a better solution, I guess. Or work on a datasheet view of a list, as well.

Greets, Eva.

Hello @Laura Sunday!

Few minutes I found interesting about exporting Data from Dynamics to Excel. Look at this: https://atinkerersnotebook.com/2017/03/23/using-functions-within-flow-using-the-compose-action/

I think, its a nice idea to make a Flow to export a list from SharePoint to Excel. That flow could be triggered within a control (button) on a PowerApp in your sharepoint list.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Community-Blog/Flow-from-PowerApps-Getting-the-Va...

Maybe you can realise this as a workaround in your SharePoint.

Greets, Eva.

I love how basic, OOTB processes are now becoming mountain hikes within SPO. :) PowerApps and Flow are both great resources, just seems like a lot of work and possible ongoing monitoring for a simple task.  Granted, the result is on us for implementing extensive security measures but this seems to be something MS would have considered or push a fix out on.

Thank you so much for the reply and suggestion.  I'll definitely give it a test drive.