SOLVED

Excel "Share Workbook" feature is applicable if open in Excel Desktop from SharePoint Online?

Iron Contributor

Dear All,

What we know that Excel Online can empower users to do co-Authoring, however Excel Online can't support all the features as what we have in Excel Desktop.

The user asked a question whether they can use "Share Workbook" in Excel Desktop after opened from SharePoint Online or not? 

Does it workable to apply that feature without any issue?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Rgrds,

VTEC

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Wee Teck Tan (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Yes, you should be able to use the Share functionality from either the web or the desktop version.

@Vasil Michev , 

If we turn on "Share Workbook" in Excel Desktop, we couldn't open Excel Online afterwards.

Please see the screenshot below.

image.png

We couldn't open either in Excel Online or Excel Desktop (Share Workbook is on).

What is the better way to guide users about this? 

I tried Share Workbook in Excel Desktop, other user can't edit the workbook at same time if I am editing. Thought that it's similar with Excel Online (co-editing).

Please advise and help

@Vasil Michev wrote:

Yes, you should be able to use the Share functionality from either the web or the desktop version.

Thanks.

Rgrds,

VTEC 

Co-authoring has been supported in the desktop version for a while now, so I guess the question here is which build are you on? You can refer to the documentation for more info: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/collaborate-on-excel-workbooks-at-the-same-time-with-co-aut...

Checked with the article, co-authoring in local is applicable for client app version: MS Office 365 Pro Plus.

I am using MS Office 2016 which is not supporting co-authoring.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Wee Teck Tan (Iron Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post