Everyone except external users disappears form Group Visitors

MVP

Hi,

For the group site when we add "Everyone except external users" to the "Site visitors" to grant people R/O access, it disappears in a while from the Site visitors and people lost access. Adding "Everyone except external users" as domain group in parallel with Site visitors/members/owners groups works.

Is that default behaviour or something is wrong in our configuration?

33 Replies

2019-06-03 12_03_27-Mail - Pieter Op De Beeck - Outlook.png

@niels_de_kok we did get an answer from Microsoft - hate it or love it; it's all about their vision on teamwork. In addition to the previous answer we tried making it a private group and giving read permissions to Everyone except external members. That was not possible either. Both answers combined provide a good answer to the question.

2019-06-03 12_05_07-Mail - Pieter Op De Beeck - Outlook.png

In addition to the solution we were looking for, the following can also provide us with a valid solution: Create a Modern SharePoint Teamsite without Office 365 Group connected to it. Only then we can manage security entirely up to our wishes. Please consider this solutions.

@Pieter Op De Beéck , I agree because permissions on SP sites connected to O365 Group are unpredictable due to updates performed by a background job. Behavior observed are different from one tenant to the other. 

This is happening all by design - but in my opinion, does not make it right.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/support/sharing-and-permissions/everyone-except-external...

Microsoft has severely broken the SharePoint permissions model and they have not been able to resolve any of the permissions support calls we've logged.  They must have gotten new developers to build the O365 groups platform, people who had absolutely no idea how SharePoint permissions work, and the two are not playing nicely at all.  Since when does Microsoft have a say over who we add where in our platforms?  That is not on....  

@Sergei Baklan ,

2 weeks ago, I've added "Everyone except external users" to Visitors on a SharePoint site based on a Private Group. Guess what, "Everyone except external users" is still in Visitors :lol:

So Microsoft documentation on how permissions works on SP site based on M365 groups is not reflecting reality... The background job that should remove "Everyone except external users" from visitors when private or switch "Everyone except external users" from Visitor to Members in Public group does not seems to be running anymore....

There seems to be nobody at Microsoft accountable for this a give a clear answer of what is going on.

Hello! 

I am unable to find a way to add "Everyone except external users" from Group Visitors in SHarepoint O365. Can anyone here help? Or is there another workaround I can do to ensure all internal users in my org can access this Sharepoint site I built?

@AbbyDL 

It shall appear if you add another user to sharepoint group and start typing the name

image.png

@Sergei Baklan Thank you for getting back to me. However, When i try to add that user into the visitor group, it is not appearing. IS there another way I can do this?

@AbbyDL , just in case, how do you proceed? Is it a SharePoint site based on a Microsoft 365 group?

Just want to make sure you are not using the site permission "Invite people" and then "Add members to group" because this will not work as you can't add a group into a group... 

Hi, we have been struggling with this for a long time and applied a work around (extra SP visitors group). Since a few months however, it seems that "Everyone except external users" is not purged from the default visitors group. So maybe this is "fixed" ?

@Wim_van_Delft 

Sorry, it's late response. Everyone is still exists

image.png