SOLVED

Editing possibilities in modern teams sites vs classic team sites

Deleted
Not applicable

Could anyone explain how to get the same editing possibilities in both my parent site and my sub sites?

When I create a new parent site (which is a modern team site) I have the possibility to add webparts from a selection box, customising the webpart and drag them around.

However, when I create a subsite the editing possibilities look very different (classic team site). I can add webparts, but I don't have the same options.

In my parent site I am missing the Promoted Links webpart. And in the sub site I can't seem to find the Quick Links. How can I change my editing options so that it looks the same in both parent sites and sub sites?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Beau Cameron (MVP)
Solution
Here is a discussion from awhile back discussion this. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Modern-subsites/td-p/118856

Short answer is that subsites shouldn’t be used for modern UI as the forward direction is use site collections for everything and join them to hubs if you need a sort of “sub” site experience.

Promoted links is not a modern UI webpart as the quick links isn’t a classic web part so you won’t be able to use them in both page types.

Ok - so I shouldn't create sub sites, at all?

I should instead create new sites and link them to the parent site?

Yes, that's the advice we received from our partner and it's paying off with Hub sites now released we can now build out a virtual hierarchy of sites however for our Intranet we have stuck with Classic at the moment due to the product that we are using and the Apps that come with it

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Beau Cameron (MVP)
Solution
Here is a discussion from awhile back discussion this. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Modern-subsites/td-p/118856

Short answer is that subsites shouldn’t be used for modern UI as the forward direction is use site collections for everything and join them to hubs if you need a sort of “sub” site experience.

Promoted links is not a modern UI webpart as the quick links isn’t a classic web part so you won’t be able to use them in both page types.

View solution in original post