SOLVED

Does syncing our SP online document libraries using OneDrive.exe upload them to onedrive online site

Steel Contributor

Usually we use use the old OneDrive For Buisness to sync our sharepoint online modern sites' document libraries. but due its limitation compared to the new OneDrive.exe, so we are going to force users to use the newer tool.

so i download it, and i did a test, where i sync a document library folder, which have 2 files (image & MS Word). and from the system tray i got these options:-

onedrive.png

but i have these 3 questions:-

First Question. I have 2 options to open named as; 1) "Open your OneDrive - ourcompanyname folder" + 2) "Open your ourcompanynme folder". so what are the differences between these 2 options?

Second Question. now seems inside my PC i will have 2 folders created under c:\user\myusername\... representing the above 2 options,, but when i click on the "Open folder" icon (which is beside the "View online" icon), the folder which is empty will be opened, instead of the folder which contain the 2 files that i have synced .. so how this is being managed?

Third question. now seems there is an option to "View Online".. so this get me worried, if using OneDrvie means that the files i am syncing from sharepoint will be upload to my online Onedrive site inside office 365? although in my case i have 2 files synced (an image and MS word document), but none of them are inside the online OneDrive site (the site which have url such as @ https://****-my.sharepoint.com/personal/user_abc_ourcompanynaem_net/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx)?? so what does the "View online" icon do exactly?

thanks in advance for any help.

6 Replies
1 and 2 sounds like you have two different accounts setup in the settings. You need to figure this out or clean it up cause it’s basically just linking to each account location it’s tied too.

As for sharepoint, no it won’t sync to your onedrive. When you sync a sharepoint library you get a new folder called sites - company name where your SharePoint sync folders go to.

@Chris Webb wrote:
1 and 2 sounds like you have two different accounts setup in the settings. You need to figure this out or clean it up cause it’s basically just linking to each account location it’s tied too.

As for sharepoint, no it won’t sync to your onedrive. When you sync a sharepoint library you get a new folder called sites - company name where your SharePoint sync folders go to.

ok so using OneDrive.exe to sync sharepoint document libraries will not results in copying the documents to the users' OneDrive site (the site which have url such as @ https://****-my.sharepoint.com/personal/user_abc_ourcompanynaem_net/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx) ? As i did not get your point on this sentence "no it won’t sync to your onedrive"? You are referring to the onedrive site is this correct?

best response confirmed by john john (Steel Contributor)
Solution
No. Sharepoint and onedrive are independent. If you sync sharepoint libraries they are syncing with SharePoint and your computer using the onedrive client. They do not upload those files to your personal onedrive site.

@Chris Webb wrote:
No. Sharepoint and onedrive are independent. If you sync sharepoint libraries they are syncing with SharePoint and your computer using the onedrive client. They do not upload those files to your personal onedrive site.

ok sound valid. i got confused when i saw the "View online" link inside my OneDrive.exe.

First off, Chris Webb is correct, syncing SharePoint libraries do not sync with your OneDrive, it is just synced using the OneDrive client.  You should see a folder in File Explorer with just your tenant name; it is also opened by click #2 in your example.

Clicking #1 or clicking Open Folder will open your OneDrive files in a File Explorer window (you should also see the OneDrive in File Explorer & is designated OneDrive - tenantname.  Opening online will open your OneDrive files online; the https://****-my.sharepoint.com/personal/user_abc_ourcompanynaem_net/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx) path.

The View Online is basically a quick way to view your OneDrive account logged into the onedrive client. Any files you sync and right click also have view online which will go to their online locations.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by john john (Steel Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post